1 reply to this topic

#1 RossE

RossE

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 10:12 PM

Evening all- I’m new to the forum so apologies if this is the wrong area however... I have a 1984 Mini Mayfair which was restored to a good standard in 2004 ish.. was well used until 2013 but since then has been stood still. I am planning to restore it to keep, I have never taken on a project like this but wanted some advice as to how to start ie a check list to look through so as to not do any damage getting it going etc... any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.

#2 Munstermini

Munstermini

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:17 PM

A Haynes manual really is a must, if you're unsure what to do. It will explain what needs doing and also how to do it. But here's a few of the basics from someone that's not a mechanic and is always open to be corrected. Make sure the engine is moving freely first. You can do this by turning it over by hand or on the nut on the fan. (removing the spark plugs makes it easier to turn over). Drain and replace engine/gearbox oil and coolant, keeping an eye on the condition of the fluids coming out for debris, corrosion etc. Radiator may need to be flushed or replaced depending on how much corrosion has occurred over 6 years.
Check spark plug condition, check the coil, the points and the dizzy cap, and ensure all are in good order and properly adjusted.
Check for perished fuel lines, and ensure that the carb is not leaking anywhere or seized/stuck internally.
A small amount of oil in the bores before attempting to start the engine will also help to not score the cylinder walls and damaging the piston rings.
If you want to go a step further, do a compression test and adjust the valves/ tappet clearance. And finally the engine timing.
Like I say, get a Haynes manual. It will explain in better detail than I ever could.
Best of luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users