#1 mark205gti

mark205gti

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 01:16 AM

Hi,

I have a 1275 pre-A+ engine but with the big 2" crankshaft and primary gear (Originally from Allegro). The gearbox is a 22G1832 so it has the pre-A+ 1275GT gear ratio with the small idler bearing. My gearbox casing is damaged with stripped threads and possibly some cracks. I have the option of buying a good DAM5626 empty casing and was wondering what parts I can re-use and what other parts I would need to purchase.

I assume I can use the diff/FD (I already have a new 3.44FD ratio to put in the diff). Can I use all the gears but with a new layshaft and bearings? Or do I need all new gears. Because the engine has the bigger crank and primary gear will this mate to an A+ gearbox idler gear?

Essentially it's an economic exercise to see if it's worth it; If I need to buy too many parts I'd have to look at another option. The DAM5626 casing itself is pretty expensive. Or if it ends up being too expensive to switch everything over does anyone have a reconditioned DAM5626 they could send to NZ?

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 05 August 2019 - 02:34 AM

The DAM5626 will fit under any 1275 Engine, no problem.

The Diff, Crown Wheel & Pinion will swap right over in the this case.

The Gear Train will also swap right over, though Reverse Gear might need a 2 mm spacer fitted on one side (I just use a 16 mm flat washer for this). You won't know until you fit it up.

The Drop Gears while not swapping over, you have a couple of easy options;-

1)  Fit an Adaptor for the Idler Gear Bearing and use the Early Drop Gears. Mini Spares sell these, or

2)  Obtain a set of A+ type Drop Gears - you'll need all 3

The thing to watch with those gear cases (and has nothing to do with the gear train) is some are not machined exactly right and will put the 1st Motion Shaft Bearing too close to the Mainshaft Bearing. This results in dragging on 3rd or 4th (or both!) Baulk Rings.

#3 mark205gti

mark205gti

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 05:54 AM

Thanks so much. It seems very achievable. Worst case I have to get a new set of drop gears. Excellent reply!

#4 mark205gti

mark205gti

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 09:07 PM

Oh. I assume I will still be able to use my current bell housing with the smaller idler bearing in that casing if I use the original drop gears with the conversion idler bearing in the gearbox housing? Thanks

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 05 August 2019 - 11:50 PM

Oh. I assume I will still be able to use my current bell housing with the smaller idler bearing in that casing if I use the original drop gears with the conversion idler bearing in the gearbox housing? Thanks

Yes :proud:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users