5 replies to this topic

#1 marshn0138

marshn0138

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 05:23 PM

My car is a 2000 reg MPI sportspack which i have owned for a couple of  months and used intermittently for a few hundred miles. 

The car seems to drive ok with no issues with the engine or gearbox and no strange noises. 

When I changed the oil this weekend I found a piece of brass / bronze in the dirty oil. I think there may have been another smaller piece which i didn't quite catch when trying to filter the oil out. The old  oil was quite dirty and may not have been changed recently. Obviously I have no knowledge of how long these fragments may have been in the sump

The car seems to drive ok with no issues with the engine or gearbox and no strange noises. 

I have included a couple of pictures to see if anyone can identify what they might be and suggestions on what to do next. I have some mechanical skills but would probably need to get any work done by someone else if the engine needs to come out.

Attached File  mini sump 2.JPG   62.73K   2 downloads

Attached File  mini sump1.JPG   67.44K   2 downloads

There was a similar posting in 2010 where there seemed to be an opinion it was part of the differential

#2 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 06:47 PM

Looks like it could be part of a selector fork.

#3 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 05 August 2019 - 06:56 PM

My car is a 2000 reg MPI sportspack which i have owned for a couple of  months and used intermittently for a few hundred miles. 

When I changed the oil this weekend I found a piece of brass / bronze in the dirty oil. I think there may have been another smaller piece which i didn't quite catch when trying to filter the oil out. The old  oil was quite dirty and may not have been changed recently. Obviously I have no knowledge of how long these fragments may have been in the sump

I have included a couple of pictures to see if anyone can identify what they might be and suggestions on what to do next. I have some mechanical skills but would probably need to get any work done by someone else if the engine needs to come out.

attachicon.gif mini sump 2.JPG

attachicon.gif mini sump1.JPG

There was a similar posting in 2010 where there seemed to be an opinion it was part of the differential

There's inflation for you.

When I was young, they used to say "A penny for your thoughts".

#4 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 07:07 PM

Like Whistler said, a piece of one of the selector forks is the more likely suspect.
The differential copper bits usually get mashed to copper dust.
I would just leave as is for the moment if no problems or noises, but someone like Guesswork or the likes might be more inclined to give a better (professional) point of view.
Odd thing to brake tho... ? Good thing copper is softer than steel.

Ben

#5 jeffster06

jeffster06

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 08:21 PM

When I was rebuilding my engine this past winter I found one of the copper cup washers on the diff seemed to have lost 1/4 of itself. I found plenty of bits like that in the bottom of the sump, almost looks like ti could be the locating tab for the washer I'm talking about. See the copper washers on the bottom of the pic in the link, that's what I lost a chunk of. 

http://www.guess-wor...play.htm?id=113

#6 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 06 August 2019 - 01:03 PM

Thats a lump of selector

Not sure which bit....wonder why its broken off ?

As above don't worry until something goes wrong

I would get the engine hot, jack the left of the car up and drop the oil

You might then get the other piece of the jigsaw, and have a bit more peace of mind that its not floating round

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users