#1 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 07:07 PM

Hi Everyone,

following the internet long tradition of first posting on a forum, here is my first post !

My name is Benoit Dupont, I live in the french Alps and I'm a the owner / Care taker of a '91 Cooper Mini that came with a 1380cc. I have this car for about 13y now and there is just no way I'll part with it. :)

As with any mini I guess, mine has a bit of a story:

I bought it from a guy from Paris who collected Porsches and thought it was a good idea to offer this lil red thing to his wife. so he bought it from a guy in south of France, had it shipped to Paris. the lady drove around the block with it and it scared the sh*t out of her so she would not drive it again. 

turned out, the guy who originally had it was a rally racer and this car was what he tought would be a civilian version of his race car: 1380cc, hard suspension, single and loud exhaust. not terribly tuned up, but enough to scare the lady.

So I bought it ! And it has been with me ever since. 

unfortunatly, I did not know much back then and the car was modified quite harshly to fit 13'' wheels and sportpack arches. I'm ok with that, but I can't go back to smaller wheels unless I am replacing my front fenders.

the car did not change much over the last decade and I'm now working on it to make it as the 4 wheels equivalent of a cafe racer: something light, reasonably fast, and not overtuned with LEDs everywhere. Basically the car will remain stock on the outside, keep the interior as it will remain "stock-looking" on the outiside. one of my influence in that matter is definitely what a guy like Magnus Walker is doing with his cars.

the engine will not receive a huge performance upgrade. it's good enough for what I do.

in the process and since I had terrible experience with aftermarket parts, I am currently making my own version of parts and I intend to share with you what I do. I have been kind of pissed off several time with sub-par quality stuff so now I'm getting either the good stuff from reputable guys. or I remake it myself, or I mod an old one I get for a few bucks from the bay.

anyway, pictures will be coming soon! cheers guys!

#2 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 05 August 2019 - 07:54 PM

Bienvenue.

#3 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 08:08 PM

Merci!

#4 ryebennet92

ryebennet92

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 03:11 AM

Welcome to the community! 

#5 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 05:03 AM

Welcome and a great little story. We look forward to hearing with interest about your car as the work progresses ?

#6 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:42 AM

Thank you!

#7 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 05:50 PM

Allright, i just posted a first custom part under bodywork on the forum with pictures: drilled door handles. :)

Let me know what you think

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users