#1 Peterbst

Peterbst

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 07:14 PM

Hi all,

I have just got my 64 mini back on the road following a long restoration. The suspension is all new and bog standard, but having been back on its wheels for about 4 months and now having done a couple of hundred miles, it is still riding really high and looks like a mini 4x4 on steroids!

How long/how many miles is it going to take to settle down or with a limited mileage envisaged do I need to fitted hi lows?

Many thanks, Pete

#2 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 05 August 2019 - 07:32 PM

No, you don't need  to fit Hi-Lo's.

It is just a cosmetic thing;  almost all the other Minis that you see are on saggy doughnuts, so yours looks 'tall'.

See if you can find a sales advert for a new Mini, 

With limited mileage, 'Sunday afternoon' driving, it is going to take a fair while to settle, unless the roads are very bumpy.

#3 M700FGT

M700FGT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 05 August 2019 - 09:32 PM

Hi all,

I have just got my 64 mini back on the road following a long restoration. The suspension is all new and bog standard, but having been back on its wheels for about 4 months and now having done a couple of hundred miles, it is still riding really high and looks like a mini 4x4 on steroids!

How long/how many miles is it going to take to settle down or with a limited mileage envisaged do I need to fitted hi lows?

Many thanks, Pete

I had exactly the same issues as i replaced all 4 cones at the same time as well.

I was told stupid things like drive around with bags of concrete etc, but it makes no difference.

The only way it settles down is with use, The problem i have is that I'm not a small guy, and its only usually me in the car, so my driver side front was sitting the lowest!

Ive only down about 900 miles since fitting them, and the back is still sitting a little high. 

#4 Spitz

Spitz

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 09:37 PM

I had a similar issue.

I drove for miles and miles over shyte roads.  Still looked like a 4x4.....and rode like one

Bottom line, I pulled the front doughnuts and found I had been sent knock of doughnuts.  China stuff.  No Moulton or Dunlop on the side.  Threw them away and made sure the supplier sent me some proper ones.  Settled in within days of driving

#5 M700FGT

M700FGT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:04 PM

Fake cones could effect the ride height, but just because they are not settling quickly doesn't mean they are fake.

Mine are 100% genuine and are still settling. 

#6 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:33 AM

They actually had quite a high ride height stock. Remember they were designed to take 4 adults and luggage and still make it down the road

There is a 1964 brochure here for comparison
http://www.minipassi...-Minor 1964.pdf

#7 Pigeonto

Pigeonto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: ISMOC

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:41 AM

Just done the same with the difference being, I fitted adjustables.

Purely for this reason. I have no intention of lowering the car,this Studio2 is to look original and is, with that slight exception, and it doesn't show.

You've now got to put up with it or spend more time, something I'm always short of.

Who wants to ride around feeling a bit silly in their 4x4 classic Mini !

Not only can I set the height exactly as factory, have the car level side to side, and slightly front low, I can keep it there as the cones sink so I don't need to constantly re-set the tracking.

#8 Peterbst

Peterbst

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:11 PM

Hi, thanks to all who replied. At least I now have confirmation that it isn’t something I’ve done. So a lot more miles on bumpy roads (plenty of those around) and see what happens. Probably is just a vanity thing, as it does look a bit odd, but as timmy850 said they were like that to take 4 adults and luggage. I’ll give it till the winter and if no different look at fitting adjustables.

Thanks again guys,

Pete

#9 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:27 PM

To be honest i bought mine 13y ago. The rear still looks like a Monster truck. But i'm ok with that :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users