7 replies to this topic

#1 BaronVonchesto

BaronVonchesto

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 04:01 PM

Something has suddenly gone wrong with my speedo. It's the centre binacle smiths type.

All of a sudden the speedo will not read below 37kph. even if im stationary it still says 37kph. however when my speed exceeds 37kph then the needle moves and the reading is bang on accurate with the gps speedometer app on my phone. The odometer also continues to function normally.

While i was driving i suddenly got a few seconds of sound like you'd get when bolts came off a rotating spindle. I'm guessing the spring that pulls the needle back down to zero has probably come off or something?

Anyone have instructions on how to open up the speedo and access the innards?

This speedo was calibrated and refurbed by Speedy Cables less than a year ago  :cry:

#2 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:48 PM

Possibly worth contacting Speedy Cables and telling them what's happened?

#3 BaronVonchesto

BaronVonchesto

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:01 PM

yea i will do that. but the cost of posting it there and back again is eye wateringly expensive.

#4 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 07:56 PM

And the time without it of course. 

As they refurbished it there should be some comeback to them if it's gone wrong so soon.  They should also pay the postage then.  I bet you haven't done many miles with it either.

You may be able to find some guidance on doing it yourself but if it goes wrong you'll probably be sending it to them anyway at your own cost.

#5 BaronVonchesto

BaronVonchesto

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 04:27 AM

yea i've done slightly under 3k miles give or take a few. The last 4 months, the car didn't move at all while i did the engine rebuild.

I've reached out to speedy. Lets see what they say.

#6 BaronVonchesto

BaronVonchesto

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:40 PM

you're right. Speedy agreed to credit me for the postage costs. So I'll be sending it back to them.

oh well, guess i wont have my meter for another 2 months...

#7 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 04:52 PM

Something has suddenly gone wrong with my speedo. It's the centre binacle smiths type.

All of a sudden the speedo will not read below 37kph. even if im stationary it still says 37kph. however when my speed exceeds 37kph then the needle moves and the reading is bang on accurate with the gps speedometer app on my phone. The odometer also continues to function normally.

While i was driving i suddenly got a few seconds of sound like you'd get when bolts came off a rotating spindle. I'm guessing the spring that pulls the needle back down to zero has probably come off or something?

Anyone have instructions on how to open up the speedo and access the innards?

This speedo was calibrated and refurbed by Speedy Cables less than a year ago  :cry:

Had a similar problem a couple of years ago, however agree with the current answers and suggest that you contact Speedy cables and talk to them direct, I am currently getting them to fit a mini centre speedo cable to a Rover/Mg gearbox drive spindle and all they quoted me was £26 which includes them providing the cable themselves, which I found super reasonable , so do phone them they seem reasonable, although very very slow to answer e-mails. Back to the problem itself.....I googled/you tubed speedo repairs and found more than 1 helpful sites with idiot proof walkthroughs...so that's also another option.......... if not ........I do have a couple of spare used but in GWO centre speedos in my garage so if all all fails and you are at a sticky end, I am more than willing to post you one of them FREE............. you just pay the postage mate.

PM me if you get stuck and I'll watts app you a few pics foryou tohave a look.

Or thinking about it I could just send you one either to open and play around with to see if ytou can rectify your own fault, or us bits as a replacement.

Good luck

Splinterchat.

Edited by splintercat, 08 August 2019 - 07:09 PM.

#8 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:56 PM

you're right. Speedy agreed to credit me for the postage costs. So I'll be sending it back to them.

oh well, guess i wont have my meter for another 2 months...

Annoying you'll be without it but credit to Speedy Cables for doing that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users