allright, got some news !
after my initial prototype above, I was still not very happy with the adherence I got of the chrome on the handles. the handles are pot metal which is difficult to chrome. So I went back to the chroming shop with this time brand new handles that I have drilled. that way I'm sure of their state before processing.
Of course, being little obsessed with the precision of my work, I made a "drilling template" to be sure the handle stays firmly in place while drilling. that way I always get the same result every time.
so here is a perfectly fine door handle before I ruin it
here it is in sandwich with the drilling template:
the previous one was dry assembly. I did had some paint of the lovely "gardening tool-Green" tone so I finished the rig accordingly
Now I can process as accurate as I want. The handles (from Minispares actually) were then sent to the chrome shop with a new formula: chrome on brass, which offer better adherence apparently. here is one finished:
it is a much more accurate result than what I had before.
now it's time for reassembly, with a brand new set of keys and locks that comes with the new set:
and tadaaaaaa !!!!
Now I will weather test those things on my car. I want to be perfectly sure it behave correctly under stress. the only weather I have to offer is right now cold (substantially) sub-zero Alps weather with a bit of heavy rain on the side. I let you know if that survives well.
cheers guys !!!