Photo

1966 Austin Mini Mk 1 (Totally Rebuilt And Upgraded)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 rustie

rustie

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 02:54 PM

Reg No. LFD 132E
Manufactured 13 July 1966, First Registered January 1967 (See Heritage Certificate).
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS RENOVATION HAS BEEN CARRIED OUT CONCIENTIOUSLY ATTEMPTING TO MAINTAIN THE ORIGINAL APPEARANCE OF A Mk.1 MINI, WITH THE EXCEPTIONS SEEN BELOW.
The car was purchased in a “Garage find” condition in 2011 as a “Project.”
BODYWORK- This was in a very poor condition was manually stripped to bare metal, ALL components were removed, checked renewed or de rusted. All rusty elements were cut out back to sound metal and new (Heritage) panels were purchased, cut to size and professionally welded in to place. The body work was stripped back to bare metal, zinc primed, primed and painted (where applicable) with at least 4 coats of cellulose paint, the underside with an undercoat of “stone chip”
The majority of CHROME FITTINGS, lights, door handles, locks, ignition switch trims etc have had to be replaced. The rear side window frames were stripped and re-chromed and the glass re fitted.
ENGINE- At an early stage it was decided that the engine and brakes were not suitable for modern traffic so a 1983 1300cc MG Metro engine and gearbox were purchased.
This was sent to Mike Tarr at Ratt Racing in Torquay, who completely stripped and then rebuilt it. New pistons and rings were fitted and the bores, which were within limits were reamed. New big end and main bearing shells were used, again the existing journals were within acceptable tolerances. New exhaust valve seats were let into the head and both the exhaust and inlet ports were “gas flowed”
A “fast road cam” was fitted and all oil seals and gaskets were replaced.
It has subsequently been fitted with a 1¾” SU Carburettor and gas flowed manifold, a 4/2/1 extractor exhaust manifold with sports exhaust system with chrome tail pipe, from MINI SPARES, (the supplier of most parts used on the car). New alternator, electronic ignition and have also been incorporated. (See performance figures below).
GEARBOX- This has been completely stripped and rebuilt by Torbay Transmissions including a new main bearing, seals and gaskets.

RUNNING GEAR- The sub frames were in good condition so were locally welded surface rust removed and painted as before but with two pack epoxy paint
The original mini had hydrolastic suspension. And after cleaning it was found that all the displacers and their hoses were in good condition (not so the steel pipes which have been replaced with nylon rust proof ones)
The original MG, 4 pot Disc brakes were also used (with new stainless-steel discs and pistons), vastly improving performance over the original drums.
The car is fitted with Yokohama 165/60 R12 71H TYRES and John Brown ZX/029-1245 silver coloured WHEELS.
A new steering rack has been fitted
All HYDRAULIC pipes and master and slave cylinders have been replaced with new.
ELECTRICALS- A new wiring loom has been installed and adapted to a negative earth system to suit the alternator. A new front and heated rear screen have been incorporated together with a hidden “kill switch” to isolate the new electronic fuel pump. There is a 12v. auxiliary socket fitted to the left of the instrument binnacle which contains refurbished gauges, the speedo has been recalibrated to suit the new wheel diameter (but not zeroed). A kill switch has been incorporated to isolate the electronic fuel pump and a 12V power socket is discreetly let into the left-hand side of the instrument binnacle
The heater has been refurbished and is in working order.
GLASSWORK- All original glass has been used with the exception of the windscreen and rear window (now heated)
INTERIOR TRIM- This car has been stripped to bare metal painted and fitted with sound deadening pads, with new head lining and interior trim and seat covers from Newton Commercial. The seat frames having been de-rusted and painted, and then re-upholstered with new rubbers, foam and covers. There are new carpets throughout.
A second-hand Sony radio has been fitted in front of the passenger seat with rear speakers and a “period” roof aerial. A sub-woofer has been placed below the passenger seat so that you can still hear the radio when driving.
Two spotlights are mounted above the front bumper.
The above work has resulted in a fast, tractable performance ideal for modern driving.

The colour scheme utilises original mini cellulose paint colours of “Old English white” for the roof and a 50/50 mix of “Iris blue” and “Surf blue” for the main body and underside. Which, although not altogether an original colour, gives a very pleasing effect.
The rebuild was initially completed in September 2016 when it sailed through its’ MOT.
Since then due to other pressures, it has been sitting in an insulated garage having minor works done from time to time and only covered a total of 250 dry miles.
PERFORMANCE- The car has now been “run in” for 250 miles and on the “rolling road” on 30th July 2019 has produced the following results. (See printout attached).
Compression, cyls. 1, 2 and 3 -175 and 4 170 lbs/sq. in.
Max torque 78 lbf-ft at 73 mph (4490rpm)
Max bhp 83 to DIN 70020 at 102mph (6220 rpm)
“I am informed that these figures exceed the performance of the original Mini cooper S”
SUMMARY- The aim of the build was to create a classic car for my personal use but with the performance and handling to be useable in modern traffic. This has been achieved.
For anyone who would like at some time to return it to its’ original state as an 850 mini all parts that have been removed including the 10” wheels (suspension and brake components and engine and gearbox (currently disassembled). (None of these have been restored.)
These can be taken with the car at no extra charge
The price will also include a virtually new hydrolastic pump.
Anyone considering a purchase is welcome to carry out any reasonable test or inspection. If a purchaser wishes to drive the car proof of comprehensive insurance for this vehicle will be required.
I will be happy to answer any questions

Alan (any queries to [email protected])

Price reduced to £11,500.00 ovno

Attached Files

Edited by FlyingScot, 12 August 2019 - 06:33 PM.

#2 jasewale

jasewale

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 03:27 PM

Hello, how much are you asking for it?

#3 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 03:29 PM

I may have missed it but what's the price?

#4 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:12 PM

Looks like its £12,000 or best offer

https://www.ebay.co....yoAAOSwNdtdQXka

#5 rustie

rustie

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 03:03 PM

The car was originally offered for £12,000.00.

I have now re advertised on Ebay for £11,500.00 ovno.

I dont know how to alter my ad on the forum.

Alan (Rustie's owner)

#6 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:34 PM

The car was originally offered for £12,000.00.

I have now re advertised on Ebay for £11,500.00 ovno.

I dont know how to alter my ad on the forum.

Alan (Rustie's owner)

Sorted it for you mate

FS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users