#1 manosr

manosr

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:21 PM

Hello from Crete!

My MkIII is nearly finished but I have a couple of issues. One of them is that I can't figure out how to hold the switch panel in place. I have the brackets, I know they are supposed to hold it but there is nowhere to attach/bolt them to. No matter how I turn them or bend them nothing. Also, is the lower dash pad necessary? Because it seems the oval hole for the switch panel is bigger than the panel itself (its correct for MkIII, and has a bezel)

Another issue is the boot hinges, I bought the chrome ones from Minispares and now the gap on top is >1cm and at the bottom 1mm. Anyone else had this problem? Are they too short?

Thank you for your help!

#2 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:13 PM

Hi,

I used to have those on an 89' and they did fit. Is it a New boot lid?

#3 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:16 PM

For the boot hinges you may have them transposed left and right (I know it sounds like they should be obvious which way round but) - try them the other way ?

For the switch panel on a MK3 with the crash pad I was trying to find a picture of the switch panel fitted without the crash pad so you could see how the brackets work but I could not find a picture yet - maybe someone else knows where there is a picture - I'm sure I've seen one on here. I'll keep looking.

It is not totally clear. The brackets fit onto the choke and heater cables on the switch panel (and you have to get them the right way up as they only work one way to keep the switch panel vertical) and then there are two holes in the bottom dash rail but these are obscured by the crash pad normally so you have to feel them into the holes then fit the 5/16 (?) nuts - it is way easier if the heater is not fitted at this point and it must be at least lowered down at the front but it is impossible if the heater is in its normal position and screwed to the bottom dash rail (just in case you are trying to do it withe heater fitted and in position)

Regards

#4 John B

John B

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:50 PM

I have just fitted the two cranked brackets to my MK2 but this was quite easy to do because I fit them before the heater box was fitted, I imagine that at the least you will have to drop the heater box to have any chance of getting access to & securing the brackets to the dash rail with those tiny washers & nuts.

The brackets are handed and will only fit one way to allow the metal switch panel & bezel to be fixed vertically.
Once you have fixed the brackets securely in the correct position the switch panel is then secured to the brackets by pushing the choke and heater cable units through the holes in the brackets and securing them at the rear of the brackets with the washers and nuts, I used a box spanner with the cables passing through the spanner so that I could tighten up the nuts, it's all very awkward to do but it can be done.

Good luck.

#5 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 06:21 AM

This might help to explain

Attached Files

#6 manosr

manosr

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 06:48 AM

Thank you all for your replies, what a great community!

The heater is removed and the brackets attached to the panel as shown in Rorf's photo. Still the don't seem to fit anywhere. I ordered the crash pad (my car did not have it) and install it and - worst case scenario - drill the holes. Funny thing about the heater: the car has two hooks to hold the heater, but the heater has only one bolt (on the right side) and no place or hole for a bolt on the left side. Weird.

The boot is the original, but the whole rear panel is new (Heritage). The hinges are marked L and R, so they are in the correct position. Also I put a new rubber seal which makes it very hard to close...

#7 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 11:01 AM

Those bolts or rather the plastic moulding that holds them on the rear of the heater, that's if it is a plastic casing, are very flimsy and break easily. On the side that is missing has it broken clean off?

#8 manosr

manosr

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 05:16 PM

Those bolts or rather the plastic moulding that holds them on the rear of the heater, that's if it is a plastic casing, are very flimsy and break easily. On the side that is missing has it broken clean off?

Thats the weird thing, there is no sign there was ever a bolt. There is no broken bolt, a hole, nothing... I could just drill a hole and put a bolt myself, but it seems to hold just fine with just the one (and the two at the front)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users