8 replies to this topic

#1 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:19 PM

Hi guys,  my air filter is saturated with oil to the point the sound dampening on the bulkhead is wet. 

HS4 with KnN filter. Cant work out where the oil is coming from, if its engine oil from a breather i have the tappet chest breather 12A1212 the hose is dry at the carb little damp at the breather. Breather looked soaked inside. 

Aparantly i have a 1275 fuel pump ive got a 998 from looks of mini spares images  and my float chamber has always leaked around the gasket slightly regardless of new gaskets or how tight i do it up..... So is it possibly just the heavy petrol oils with all the volatile

factions evaportated off? doesnt smell of petrol at all

Damper oil is fine and with the amount of oil i would have had to had refilled it many a time to get my filter that sodden. 

Feeling the oil, its very light lighter than engine oil. I havent charged my filter in over a year so doubt its the KnN oil..... Its slightly brown slightly pink.... like the KnN oil 

Edited by phillrulz, 08 August 2019 - 10:27 PM.

#2 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 06:31 AM

For normal road use I believe these K&N filters are so over rated and expensive - use a good quality conventional filter in the standard filter housing. Usually if the engine bay has an oily mist all over it then the engine breather system is not working correctly or there is cylinder bore wear and therefore much higher crankcase positive pressures.

One positive though, it keeps the rust at bay :D

#3 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 06:40 AM

Hi guys,  my air filter is saturated with oil to the point the sound dampening on the bulkhead is wet. 

...it possibly just the heavy petrol oils with all the volatile

Feeling the oil, its very light lighter than engine oil.

Is it washer fluid from a split windscreen washer hose?

#4 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:21 PM

For normal road use I believe these K&N filters are so over rated and expensive - use a good quality conventional filter in the standard filter housing. Usually if the engine bay has an oily mist all over it then the engine breather system is not working correctly or there is cylinder bore wear and therefore much higher crankcase positive pressures.

One positive though, it keeps the rust at bay :D

Ah came with the car, cant moan about free stuff. 

I say the same about rust prevention with the CV grease coating the floor pan haha. 

Engine was looked at by andy over at ML motorsport not too long ago said it was a good worn eninge but nothing major. Tappet cover is under vaccum  ill check crank case. 

...it possibly just the heavy petrol oils with all the volatile

Feeling the oil, its very light lighter than engine oil.

Is it washer fluid from a split windscreen washer hose?

I wish, definetly oil 

#5 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:49 PM

Maybe, just maybe, it is filter oil: you mentioned the engine was checked recently, maybe your guy simply re-oiled the filter a bit too much ? 

It is very unlikely that it comes from within the carburator: the carburator sucks air through the filter. it's kind of a one way street, it never blows back through it. 

on the other hand, any vapor that goes in the engine bay is likely to be sucked through the filter and end up condensing on it. So I would look into breathers again, unless you have connected the ports to the carburator. 

#6 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:52 PM

Maybe, just maybe, it is filter oil: you mentioned the engine was checked recently, maybe your guy simply re-oiled the filter a bit too much ? 

It is very unlikely that it comes from within the carburator: the carburator sucks air through the filter. it's kind of a one way street, it never blows back through it. 

on the other hand, any vapor that goes in the engine bay is likely to be sucked through the filter and end up condensing on it. So I would look into breathers again, unless you have connected the ports to the carburator. 

Only 1 breather, thats tappet chest, has a vented oil cap 

#7 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 04:05 PM

"Only 1 breather, thats tappet chest, has a vented oil cap "

that's odd. should'nt there be another one on the timing cover? or is it just on the 1275 ? I have 2. check on the right of the engine. maybe that's the reason: if you miss a breather, then you're spitting oil mist all over the place

Edited by Benoit_Dupont, 09 August 2019 - 04:06 PM.

#8 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 09 August 2019 - 04:41 PM

"Only 1 breather, thats tappet chest, has a vented oil cap "

that's odd. should'nt there be another one on the timing cover? or is it just on the 1275 ? I have 2. check on the right of the engine. maybe that's the reason: if you miss a breather, then you're spitting oil mist all over the place

Its only the 1275 engines that should have 2, I suppose the transfer case can be changed to fit the second breather

#9 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 04:41 PM

Ok so that's not it then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users