20 replies to this topic

#1 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 06:47 AM

Allright, so for once, this post is not about a problem, but rather a tip to do something for a change.

So the story is as follows: I wanted to install an oil pressure sensor in my mini. the main reason is that it seems to be the way most of mini engine die, because when the pressure light finally flashes on the tiny dashboard, well, the damage is already done, so I wanted to monitor a bit closely what the pressure is.

plus it gives me also an indirect sense of "engine readiness" as I know the pressure drops a bit when the engine is at the right temperature. Sure enough, I could also install an oil temperature sensor but my dash has 3 instruments and I wanted a clock and a volt meter, so here we go.

Because installing just an oil sensor would be too easy, I have put the following constraints:

- it has to be electrical and not the one with the oil pick-up. 2 reasons for that: I don't want oil in my cabin. and I'm an electronic engineer by day, so I tend to go for a solution that involves electrons rather than nasty fluids running pipes.

- it has to fit in the engine bay without too much plumbing.

We mini people tend to go for solutions we know. so for instance, my first solution was: look in forums, get the classic "T" piece and install the Smiths electrical sender unit where the oil pressure contact normally sits in the engine bay (top right corner of the engine block front face). the "T" look like this:

Attached File  IMG_20190615_114127-W600.jpg   11.7K   10 downloads

it has conical 1/8NPT thread so you could in theory fit the oil pressure sender unit and the existing pressure light switch.

Well, in theory. because in practice the Smiths electrical sender unit is as big as a whisky barrel and it would not fit there quite nicely. I have asked around and 2 suggestions came:

A nice mini racing company suggested to fit an oil line on the block, then the T piece and then the units. and try to keep the hose in place. Why not, but I did not like the multiplication of connectors. plus the sender unit is not only has big as a barrel, but it has about the same weight and I did not like the idea of having it dandling there. So no.

Another guy suggested to move the distributor, at which point I faded into oblivion. seemed like a lot of work to just get an oil pressure unit.

So both solutions were out of the question. So I have been looking around. Most racing people are familiar with oil filter sandwich plate when it comes to installing an oil cooler. Turns out there are also sandwich plates with 1/8NPT for sensors. 

I got mine from Mishimoto (which turns out to be an american company). but there are many vendors out there including some Amazon stuffs although I let you judge of their credibility. here is how it looks like:

Attached File  IMG_20190604_202001-W600.jpg   34.52K   16 downloads

It is an anodized aluminium. this one a 3 sensor ports, and it fits between the oil filter head and the oil filter. it has a rubber gasket on top, like an oil filter, and comes with a screw that correspond to the oil filter thread: you put it in place, you screw it and then it acts as your oil filter head.

Several reasons to go for such solution at least for me:

If I mess it up somehow, I have to replace my filter head, which is quite affordable.

if I mess up the block while fiddling with the oil pressure contact switch port, boy am I in trouble!

So it seemed like a good idea to proceed like that. As I was installing an MED filter head anyway, I could make a dry assembly on my desk to see if everything fit together:

Attached File  IMG_20190604_204804_296-W600.jpg   21.16K   22 downloads

then you can bolt in the whole unit and attach your electrical sender unit to it and voilà:

Attached File  IMG_20190613_203741-W600.jpg   42.26K   20 downloads

It is a good solution, to my humble opinion because:

it fits!

it has no clearance issue

it does not mess with the block in the end.

it gives me 2 extra ports to fit, say an oil temperature and/or a pressure safety switch for an electrical fuel pump eventually. so it's quite future proof.

you don't need the MED head to work of course, you could use your existing head, it's just since I was in that process anyway.

Finally, some more tips if you want to do the same:

some of those sandwich plates come with the port blocking screw quite loosely attached. don't forget to tighten those, even if you don't use them. otherwise it will drip oil slowly but surely.

don't over-tighten those screws and units! don't forget it's juste aluminium and not your average Sherman Tank armor plate you are screwing this in. it will eventually deform and leak if you do. 

as with conical threads you need to add PTFE tape (we call it Teflon tape where I am, for some reason) on the thread to ensure it sealed. one of the consequence is that it will insulate electrically the sensor head so, before installing the sender unit, I have added an electrical washer on the thread with a spring washer for good measure. then I ran a cable to the nearest body ground and that works.

Besides, even if you would not add PTFE, anodized aluminium is not the best conductor, and on top of that there is a rubber seal between the sandwich plate and the filter head, which turned out to be anodized as well, so better safe than sorry, use a grounded washer.  :proud:

the other connector on the smiths sender unit goes back in the cabin to connect to the electrical fuel gauge. For additionnal safety, I added a fuse on that line (well basically I added a fuse box just for all the extra instruments to be on the safe side but that's another story I'll tell later  ;D  )

hope this helps, if you want to fit an oil filter unit one day. sure it would have helped me.

And as with any engine modification, please keep it safe, check for oil level, pressure and leaks before hitting the road!

cheers guys !

Edited by Benoit_Dupont, 09 August 2019 - 12:19 PM.

#2 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 10:46 AM

This seems like an elegant solution.

It's also great that there are companies willing to put time, effort and money into producing items like this for our cars. Cars nearly as old as me! :D

#3 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 12:18 PM

This seems like an elegant solution.

It's also great that there are companies willing to put time, effort and money into producing items like this for our cars. Cars nearly as old as me! :D

Actually, that's the thing! this sandwich plate is not meant specifically to Minis. it's also used in tons of european and japanese cars. We are so used to browse through spares, sport and friends we do not necessarily think of other alternative suppliers. 

#4 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Local Club: Not MINI friendly

Posted 09 August 2019 - 03:55 PM

Good write up buddy! I like how you did this, nice and clean. It's possible to stack these should you decide to fit an oil cooler later :)

#5 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 04:03 PM

Good write up buddy! I like how you did this, nice and clean. It's possible to stack these should you decide to fit an oil cooler later :)

ahaha, I would not stack too many however, then it becomes though to fit the filter, unless you got a low height one... 

besides, I'm not a track guy, so never had any cooling issue on the car so far. 

I would have prefer to fit a digital / solid state oil pressure however, but let's face it: the corresponding gauge looks like garbage. I went for the classic maniolia Smiths gauge. 

#6 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 06:44 PM

The poor man's solution used to be to fit a 30ps oil pressure switch in place of the standard one (on the Tee piece if you have a pressure gauge as well) and install an amber front wing repeater light on the dash in a good viewing point. That does give you extra time to cut the engine.

#7 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:00 PM

Interesting. I did not know this one

#8 darkrider

darkrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Local Club: E.P.Veteran Car Club

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:11 PM

Well I have a small problem with that setup! My oil filter is on the top side of the block similar to the MPI engines.
so where do I fit it??

#9 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,927 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:46 PM

Well I have a small problem with that setup! My oil filter is on the top side of the block similar to the MPI engines.
so where do I fit it??

While I've not gone looking specifically for one to suit the MPI, there is sandwich plates available, that fit between the Filter and the Block. If you can't find an off the shelf item, it wouldn't cost much to have one made.

#10 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Local Club: Not MINI friendly

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:18 PM

so where do I fit it??

No problem at all. You can buy one from Mocal, I have them on my MPI blocks. You need to be sure to buy 13/16" UNF thread cover plate as the MPI's are different than 'standard' blocks of 3/4" UNF. 

https://www.merlinmo...f-m-cp-13-16unf

https://www.merlinmo...e-1-2bsp-m-sp-1

Or

https://www.merlinmo...ent-m-tgasp200x

https://www.merlinmo...f-m-eb-13-16unf

#11 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 03:11 PM

Hi guys,

sorry for my late reply. I think Curley got you the answer you need. you will need the 2 last items, that are the one that look similar to my set-up.

however, check the clearance, I don't have an MPI here to check it out.

#12 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 03:58 PM

A simple answer is to fit either an adjustable pressure  switch or a 30psi switch and wire up to a wing repeater lamp you can fit on the dashboard. You'll certainly know when the pressure drops then.

#13 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 04:56 PM

well yes indeed, it's one way to make it simple. 

#14 masslaw

masslaw

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Local Club: Victoria Mini Owners Club

Posted 21 September 2019 - 06:15 PM

I'm looking at this as a good solution for adding an oil electric pressure gauge.  I'm a bit unclear about the "electrical washer" you added along with a spring washer.  First, I'm not sure what an electrical washer actually is. (Googling brought up Maytag and GE)  Secondly, how is the ground wire connected to the sender?  Thanks for a great article.

#15 masslaw

masslaw

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Local Club: Victoria Mini Owners Club

Posted 21 September 2019 - 06:50 PM

I should also have asked about the sender unit.  The Smiths is big, as you say, so what did you use instead?

Thanks in advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users