#16 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 06:53 PM

Hi,

Yes i was a bit unclear on that one. The electrical sender unit works as follows:
On average, it pulls a current from the gauge to the chassis proportionnal to the oil pressure basically. It's not exactly like that because it works based on thermal Time constants but it's a good model to explain what happens.

So on the back of the sender unit, there is a single plug : the one that goes to the gauge.

The ground connexion is made through the body of the sender unit, normally in contact with the block.

But in my particular case, since my sandwidch plate has an oil seal towards the oil filter head, the electrical contact of the sender unit can not bé made to the ground.

So i added a washer with a connexion to the ground so that The body of The sender unit is effectively grounded. The term electrical washer os probably not the right one in english. It's basically a round connector if you wish.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Benoit_Dupont, 21 September 2019 - 06:54 PM.

#17 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 06:55 PM

And i used the Smiths.

#18 masslaw

masslaw

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Local Club: Victoria Mini Owners Club

Posted 22 September 2019 - 07:17 PM

So in the picture you included of the installation, what is the shiny round "thing" on the left of the unit? If that's the Smiths sender, what is coming out of the top of the unit, with what looks like teflon tape at the threads.  

#19 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 04:49 AM

Hi,

So the shiny part is the sender unit. See:
https://www.merlinmo...1-8npt-cb-os-18

The black cable that emerges from it on the picture is the ground câble. It is. Soldered to a ring terminal that goes on the sender thread. Something like:
https://www.manomano...2-jaune-6459396

And the Big hose on top of the picture with téflon has nothing to do with the oil sender. It is the MED filter head braided nylon Line :)

#20 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 04:49 AM

I will try to get you better pictures for illustration !

#21 masslaw

masslaw

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Local Club: Victoria Mini Owners Club

Posted 24 September 2019 - 12:37 AM

Ah, all clear now.  Many thanks.  I've been wondering how to hook mine up.  Now part of the winter project(s).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users