#1 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:05 PM

Hi

I've got a problem with my choke cable. It's supposed to be able to be turned to hold the position once you pull it out. It was doing that but now, no matter what I do, it won't turn or pull out. I assumed the locking mechanism was stuffed so bought another but that won't do it either (tested before fitting it). Am I being stupid? Or is there some knack to it?

Rod

Edited by rodandtom, 09 August 2019 - 08:27 PM.

#2 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:29 PM

it maybe that you have a bad engine earth, and the engine is earthing threw the choke cable, and its got hot. Check the outer of the cable to see if it looks like its got hot.

#3 jonjosar

jonjosar

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:36 PM

Try moving the choke arm on the carburettor itself. Cant say ive ever seen the actual arm seize but i'd agree with Avtovaz, see if its getting hot but be careful because if it is earthing through the cable, it can be very very hot.

#4 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,401 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:39 PM

You'd have to hold the cable outer solidly enough to prevent it turning with the inner. There can also be too much friction if the cable's curled tightly.

Google 'Bowden cable' if irritated by such choke woes .

#5 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 05:16 AM

Check that the cable hasn't been cooked on the exhaust manifold. Also before pulling the choke out one must turn the knobbie slightly anti clockwise to unlock it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users