7 replies to this topic

#1 MiniMacPS

MiniMacPS

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:02 PM

Attached File  Mini Noise (online-audio-converter.com).mp3   277.06K   29 downloads

Hi all, 

I am fairly new to the mini world and i have had my MPI 1998 Paul Smith for around 6 months now. Only over the last couple of weeks there is a new sound coming from the engine bay (more accurately the gearbox). I have attached a link to this for you to listen to. I am having the engine out at the end of September for a re-bore as i have some blue smoke out of the back and my white garage door has some good oil splattering on it now. 

Is anyone able to let me know what they believe the whining sound is? And from there, should I still be driving it (only for 2 more days as a daily as my wife gets a new car on Friday)? 

Cheers. 

Edited by MiniMacPS, 13 August 2019 - 06:30 PM.

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:04 PM

No link attached!!!

#3 MiniMacPS

MiniMacPS

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:31 PM

No link attached!!!

The file type i had didn't work, all sorted now! 

#4 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:08 PM

Clutch release bearing maybe?? does the noise go away when you depress the clutch??

#5 MiniMacPS

MiniMacPS

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:14 PM

Clutch release bearing maybe?? does the noise go away when you depress the clutch??

It does, and if you dip the clutch yet remain in the same gear on occasions it will stop and be fine (until you change up into 3rd for example). 

#6 MiniMacPS

MiniMacPS

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:52 PM

In addition, it is most apparent when accelerating, would this still point towards the clutch release bearing? And if so, safe to drive for a couple more days? 

#7 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:08 PM

You say in whines in 1st, 2nd & 3rd gears which suggests laygear bearings to me but your sound clip sounds noisy in 4th gear too which is more likely to be main shaft bearing failure. I wouldn't drive it in case you do more damage. Engine out and split the box to see what's going on.

#8 MiniMacPS

MiniMacPS

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:20 PM

You say in whines in 1st, 2nd & 3rd gears which suggests laygear bearings to me but your sound clip sounds noisy in 4th gear too which is more likely to be main shaft bearing failure. I wouldn't drive it in case you do more damage. Engine out and split the box to see what's going on.

Cheers for this, it stops in 4th (poor sound clip), so only 1st - 3rd. Through reading i thought it could be laygear bearings mainly because it stops in 4th. Engine is coming out in a few weeks so not a bad time for it to rear its ugly head! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users