#1 miniman86

miniman86

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
  • Local Club: smag, Waltham Abby

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:23 PM

Is there any difference between a late a series one (with 1-2-3-D on the selector, 1975 built) to an a+ unit (1987 built)? my forward clutch is slipping in my auto box, but i do have another that has covered around 20k since it was rebuilt.Will  I have to change the diff if i want to continue to use the hardy spicer drive shafts? other than this is it a straight forward swap over? i already have the converter puller etc.

Thanks, 

Alex

#2 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:36 AM

Don't know much about auto boxes but the late hardy spicer type boxes generally had 'knock on' hardy spicer output flanges rather than cooper s style with the big bolt holding the flange to the output shaft. The knock on type are interchangeable with pot joints, no need to change the diff itself.
But they need the gearbox side plates with the larger bush to allow fitment of the hardy spice output flanges as they have a larger outside diameter than the pot joints,. not a major problem if the late box has side plates both sides as you can reuse the ones from the old box and reshim the diff but I have seen pictures on here where the late boxes (don't know when they changed) didn't have a removable side plate on drivers side of the box.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users