2 replies to this topic

#1 DavidN

DavidN

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:53 AM

I was wondering - I understand a blown ECU might be a major problem for my MPI in years to come as they are almost unobtainable. If I came across a spare ECU and stored it would that be of any use to code it to my car or would it be a waste of time as they are specific to each individual vehicle? Thanks.

#2 mpialan

mpialan

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:27 AM

ECU's often come up on e-bay with matching immobilisers and key fobs. It is often the pairing of the ECU and immobiliser that causes the problem.

If you are unable to find a matching set, you could always just purchase an ECU and have the immobiliser function removed from it so that it operates as a standalone ECU. Obviously if you did this an Aftermarket Alarm System would be a good idea.

I recently purchased an ECU off e-bay, had it tested (as a precaution)and the immobiliser function removed by a company in Staffordshire. They are also able to repair certain faults with the ECU as well.

I am really happy with the set up in my Mini now. The company in question is: https://www.atpelect...mini-petrol-ecu

I couldn't fault the service I received from them either.

#3 DavidN

DavidN

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 05:30 PM

Thanks Alan. That's interesting and useful. My MPI is fine at present - but it may be fun and interesting to grips with how all this works. It's currently beyond me as i'm a oil change, grease round 1970's sort of owner. (It's an age thing maybe.). I am mindful that many spares will be difficult to source for these later cars in years to come. I thought it might be an interesting and fun idea to put together a collection of the more rare examples, which may add value to the car and enhance it's credibility in years to come. Already, I have a couple of squib rotary couplers. Maybe next comes  ECU's and sensors together with an understanding of how a code readers work . Lots of great stuff on this site to look at though. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users