5 replies to this topic

#1 Oakesy

Oakesy

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:59 PM

Looking at cutting out panels and certain patches of rust. Along with sanding surface rust away from a shell I am going to restore. Just wondering what the metal should then be treated with to prevent rust starting again on the cleaned metal? (It could be a while before it goes for primer and paint properly)

#2 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:42 PM

Lots of people use bilt hamber products to convert and treat rust and I have heard good things.

Personally, I scour out all of the rust so you only have clean bright metal. Any major pitting needs to be cut out and minor stuff can stay providing you remove all rust from the pitted metal.

I always use a zinc rich aerosol primer to cover the bare areas whilst the rest of the repairs are ongoing and that does a good job at protecting the steel.

Be aware that some cheaper zinc primers need to be removed prior to applying your pre-paint primer as they do not adhere well enough and can cause problem later.

Cheers

Ben

Edited by Ben_O, 14 August 2019 - 02:43 PM.

#3 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:17 PM

I agree with Ben. I'm not a fan of converters. I cut the damaged area. If not too Bad i grind it down to bare metal and go with a mig welder to see if I Can add metal to it. Then grind bare again and antirust primer. For that I don't source primer from the hardware store. I use automotive grade stuff from parts vendors that normally sell to body workshops. It's a bit expensive but worth every penny. Well, euro cents for that matter :)

#4 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,895 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:34 PM

I cut out and replace. If its pitted its thin so replace.

Then use an quality Epoxy primer.

#5 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:33 AM

Good advice.

When it's thin but not that thin and very local I had metal. Sometimes it gives better results than cutting if it's a small piece. Less risk to déform while soldering.

#6 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 04:28 PM

Bilt Hamber Deox Gel will remove rust and leave just the pits on bright metal. You need to follow the instructions that come with it closely though.

You'll need to decide if what's left is thick enough to just paint over or replace with new metal.

I've had bits of metal that resembled lace once the rust had been removed.

Edited by MikeRotherham, 15 August 2019 - 04:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users