Photo

Body Work Questions, A Few I Need Answering?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:16 PM

Afternoon All,

Apologies in advance for some fairly newbie questions for most but i'm fairly new to Mini's and this is my first resto project.

My Mini is almost fully stripped down now and in the next few weeks will need to start bodywork after getting some rather sobering quotes from shops (understandably). I have a few questions however that I can't seem to find answers too?

1) What should i use to strip back filler, paint and years of rubbish on the panels so i can see the extent of the damage? was thinking of using something like a paint stripper or is it best to sand back with a Disk? So far I've been using a drill and poly disk but have just ordered some flap disks for my Angle grinder?

2)Once onto my jig is there a golden rule for order of panels to be cut out and re istalled? i'll be bracing the car as per other guides but will need to replace boot floor, wheel tubs, companion box's, back half of floor and maybe full rear qtr's depending on the extent of the rot. I know i can't cut have the car on the jig all all of those panels off and there won't be anything to mount the jig to at the back. My initial thought was to do the Rear Qtr's first then floor the wheel tubs and boot? Also if anyone knows of a bible for all this stuff i'll be greatful! 

3) I don't have power at my garage (it gets better i know). so i will need to run a welder off a Generator? anyone else done this or doing this and know of certian things to look out for? i know obviously a mig welder that's 13a not 16a etc.

cheers in advance for the help. 

#2 Dr s

Dr s

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:40 PM

Ok... it’s doable but it’s a big job. Firstly let’s have some photos up here. Then we can work out what you need and what order. Don’t cut anything out yet :-)

#3 I hate Brian

I hate Brian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:17 PM

Hi Dandyer1995 have you thought about when the nights draw in (winter ) and your going to be working in a garage in the cold and dark on a generator not good mate even with a garage with lighting and power.

Good luck as above Dr s post some photos to see the extent of work required.

#4 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:18 PM

Personally i start at the back then move fwd.

Boot floor first, using the old arches helps with alignment.

Now move onto the quarter panels. This allows access for the inner arches, companion bin, heelboard ends, closeout panels, waist rail if needed, rear floor section. Do both sides like this.

Now fit the spit so you can move onto the rest of the underside, inner sills etc etc etc.

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:19 PM

Oh and if you want to see all of this in action then look at Project Paddy in my signature. There is pretty much a step by step guide on how to do all of this.

#6 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:15 AM

Oh and if you want to see all of this in action then look at Project Paddy in my signature. There is pretty much a step by step guide on how to do all of this.

Thanks Sonikk that's the kind of info i need, i'll take some time to re read through your thread.

Thanks Guys, its a lot of work but judging by some of the projects on here not the biggest. I'm expecting to spend a long time doing it and for progress to be super slow over the winter. Have a look at my build thread to save re posting pics http://www.theminifo...n/#entry3583624

Hoping to move house in the next year or so (with a garage) so things will move quicker then. I'm trying to find a unit with power at the moment which would also help. 

thanks 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users