20 replies to this topic

#16 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 06:48 AM

My '98 JDM has no history prior to being imported in 2008, I'm the second owner since then but it doesn't mean anything because that's only half it's life. Think about it a little differently ... would you buy an ex-hire car that's listed as one owner but has had hundreds of different drivers?

Owning a car from new is relevant, every subsequent owner is just a number. Also the documents list keepers not owners, any transfer of name will add a keeper to the list, for example even if it stays within the same family at the same address which often happens with small cars.

#17 Hedgey

Hedgey

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 01:05 PM

7 owners is only a change of hands every 3.3 years so not bad really

#18 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 01:47 PM

Back in 95 I bought a 1275 GT.i was the 18th owner. One of the best cars I have owned and I wished I had never sold it.

Same goes for the 1275GT I owned back when I was in my late teens/early 20's! It'd had like a 1000 previous owners {well looked like it had as there was rot everywhere}, but it went like stink, handled well and stopped on a penny! It was scrapped by its next owner, such a shame now that they are hard to come by!

#19 kkeith

kkeith

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 08:26 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies - hugely appreciated. 

#20 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 30 August 2019 - 11:31 AM

With a clasic car the number of prior owners is not important. What is important is the overall condition.
These are old cars and the condition will reflect the price and the work needed to make it as you wish it to be. This is part of the fun of classic car ownership.

#21 1330RG

1330RG

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 05:44 PM

My 79 1000 has had 14 well technically 15 but my brother never signed the v5 before i stole the car off him haha. And its been well cared for, im restoring it but only because i want too, could of just patched the couple of bits it needed and bolt it back together. Numbers mean nothing, its the condition of the vehicle that count, could have just one owner but if they have trashed it then what does that say?! If you like it and its in good condition, buy it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users