#16 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 16 August 2019 - 06:56 PM

At least it's accessible and you shouldn't have to take the car off the road if you need to take it elsewhere for the welding. Assuming you don't discover more horrors of course. It's also not a bad place to start your welding career.

#17 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 16 August 2019 - 07:20 PM

A better alternative to rivetting might be small bolts and nuts. A pan-head M4 screw should work at about 25 mm pitch with a nut and washer underneath. Still use a structural adhesive as well.

#18 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 06:52 AM

If spaced similar to the original spot welds, zinc plated steel pop rivets will be as strong as the original welds but nothing like as tidy. You might need Popeye available after you've fitted the first few though!

#19 Bass Man

Bass Man

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Local Club: London & Surrey MOC

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:09 AM

:shy:  My lack of knowledge is highlighted again, never really done much bodywork like this, I have had the car for about 15 years but it has been sat for the last 5, my son has just bought a 1970 Beetle and helping him with that has finally motivated me to start on the Mini. Not planning a restoration just a derust exercise and good clean up to return to daily use, I have a '94 E-Class that was given to me as well which was rusted through at all corners, got this sorted and it is used daily.

I'm still in the process of lifting the Mini to give good access but when that is done I need to jet wash the drive underneath it to remove the moss which is like a skating rink

The lower half of the valance is shot but I will probably need the closing panels as well.....

Thanks

#20 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 01:11 PM

I fear a Mini which was used for 5 years then sat for 5 years (outside?) is not going to be a pretty sight when you start in to it. Hope Im wrong!  >_<

#21 Bass Man

Bass Man

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 02:09 PM

Yep, outside............ (I know...... )  

Surprisingly, so far not too bad, fingers crossed.

Although no sooner have I got it on the stands I have decided to reposition for better acce3ss before I get into in....

Edited by Bass Man, 17 August 2019 - 02:10 PM.

#22 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 17 August 2019 - 02:50 PM

You might be best to invest in a MIG welder. If you are into Minis there will come a time when more welding is needed and then you will already have the equipment. Whilst it is possible to bodge a new ear valence on, when it comes to things such as sills, wings, A-panels, boot floor, and all the other ares which are prone to rust it is necessary to do a lot of welding and it is so much cheaper to \DIY than to pay. Just think, 3 hours labour will pay for a good MIG set.

#23 Bass Man

Bass Man

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 11:27 AM

Agreed, I have myself booked on a welding course next month to get the basics, I hope it isn't like soldering because I am useless at that!!

#24 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 02:40 PM

Much better than soldering ... you can blow bigger holes in the bits you’re trying to join!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users