#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 17 August 2019 - 09:56 AM

Mike Brewer's dream car Mini Cooper S is featured on the cover of the September 2019 Mini Magazine:-
https://www.facebook.com/minimagazine/

y27lRXw.jpg

He believes this '64 Cooper S was re-shelled probably in the 1970's into an earlier '61/62 shell but is planning to rebuild it into a new Heritage Mk1 shell as a car for him to keep forever.
"I'm not one of those aficionados that want to get the exact matching code on everything! People out there obsess over this stuff. I just want a car that I can enjoy every day and drive every day so that's what I bought!"

Edited by mab01uk, 17 August 2019 - 10:45 AM.

#2 hunterg30

hunterg30

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:47 PM

With the amount of money he earns , if his dream car was a Cooper S he would already own one . Can't stand the bloke , Contradicts himself depending on who he is sucking up to at he time

#3 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 01:03 PM

With the amount of money he earns , if his dream car was a Cooper S he would already own one . Can't stand the bloke , Contradicts himself depending on who he is sucking up to at he time

Couldnt agree more, a bell end of the highest order!

#4 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Local Club: Not MINI friendly

Posted 17 August 2019 - 03:39 PM

Did you see what Ed China said about him online? I stopped watching WD when Ed left.

#5 toyboy396

toyboy396

Grandad in training.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • Local Club: C&T Classics

Posted 17 August 2019 - 06:57 PM

1st class twit

End of

Edited by yeti21586, 18 August 2019 - 01:09 PM.
DO NOT TRY AND AVOID THE SWEAR FILTER!!!

#6 blackbelt1990

blackbelt1990

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Local Club: Minimus Maximus

Posted 17 August 2019 - 07:24 PM

Well this thread is going great...

I didn’t realise this was TMBF

#7 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 11:28 AM

I’ve got more and more annoyed him on WD as time passed.

I do like Ed, seems like he got shafted. I’m going to read his book shortly.

I’m curious what Ed said about him, do you have a link?

Did you see what Ed China said about him online? I stopped watching WD when Ed left.

#8 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 11:48 AM

Mike Brewer was always the crap bit of the show, you had to watch him to get to the good stuff with Ed and now Ant.

I'm afraid a loud mouthed car dealer is always going to be a turn off on a car show for me, he has more bullsh!t than brains.

#9 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 18 August 2019 - 12:17 PM

Oh another reason not to spend any money.

#10 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Local Club: Not MINI friendly

Posted 18 August 2019 - 12:39 PM

I’m curious what Ed said about him, do you have a link?

06:44 -

#11 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:52 AM

Think I prefer Ant to Ed to be honest.

and as annoying as Brewer might be, he's not a patch on that idiot Tim from Car SOS.

#12 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 19 August 2019 - 01:31 PM

In general, it seems that the technicians are OK on these shows and show what is involved quite well. It seems to be their co-presenters who are so stupid. But then, they are not classic car enthusiasts, just paid TV presenters put in to create a sense of 'doing fantastic deals'.

The other thing I think is funny is when they have a car without the engine having ever run, no interior and a load of wiring to be done and just a few hours to do it before the 'reveal'. Then, as if by magic, the restored car is presented the next day fully completed and, presumably with an MoT, driven on the public roads by the owner and his/her family. In all the restorations I have ever done, there are always a few small snags to be ironed out once the resto is complete and the car is running.

Still, that's TV. When we were on 'Car Booty' a few years ago when my Grandson's Mini Mayfair was featured, the way the shots were manipulated was amazing. Now I have another grandson who makes movies/videos as a job I can understand how these things work. Remember, it is meant to just be entertainment, so don't take it too seriously.

The thing that made me laugh at Mike Brewer was when they restored the WW2 Jeep. They took it to a 1940's weekend and brewer said "Ah, just look at that beautiful Spitfire", as a Hawker Hurricane flew over.  Even my wife knows the difference!

#13 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:01 PM

The other thing I think is funny is when they have a car without the engine having ever run, no interior and a load of wiring to be done and just a few hours to do it before the 'reveal'. Then, as if by magic, the restored car is presented the next day fully completed and, presumably with an MoT, driven on the public roads by the owner and his/her family. In all the restorations I have ever done, there are always a few small snags to be ironed out once the resto is complete and the car is running.

FantomWorks is quite good with project timescales, they'll often have people who've waited a year or so for their car to be finished, even if appears it was all shot in one episode.

#14 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:57 PM

..if none of the auto shows appeal; Plane Resurrection (on PBS usually) is always worth a watch

#15 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:24 AM

Mike Brewer's dream car Mini Cooper S is featured on the cover of the September 2019 Mini Magazine:-
https://www.facebook.com/minimagazine/

y27lRXw.jpg

He believes this '64 Cooper S was re-shelled probably in the 1970's into an earlier '61/62 shell but is planning to rebuild it into a new Heritage Mk1 shell as a car for him to keep forever.
"I'm not one of those aficionados that want to get the exact matching code on everything! People out there obsess over this stuff. I just want a car that I can enjoy every day and drive every day so that's what I bought!"

I noticed that the car has a "numbers first" registration which a lot of local councils used when they ran out of "letters first" plates in 1961/62. (By just reversing the ones they had already issued),

But, if the car is a 1964 it should have a seven digit plate with a "letters first" and a "B" suffix. Unless it took the registration of the 61/62 shell that replaced the original. Does that mean that if the shell is replaced again it will need registering again?

Also nowhere in the article does it mention the engine size. The S came out in 1963 with a 1071cc engine and was not changed until August 1964 when the 970cc and 1275cc came out, so could be any of these.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users