Photo
- - - - -

Are Race Number Stickers Legal On Road Mini's?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 noeman

noeman

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:46 AM

I have a large blemish in paint on my drivers door. Rather than having it re-sprayed that would stick out from the car a few people have suggested putting those white round race numbers on my doors to cover it up for time being. I like the idea as it would make my car look a bit sportier, I've seen ha few minis with these on but is legal/Ok?

#2 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:14 PM

I would presume so, it is just a graphic after all, albeit a big one. Think of all those Italian Job minis that drive around with their decals on permanently, never an issue, unless offensive!

#3 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:21 PM

Perfectly legal, despite a few urban myths.

Most of the myths are based from a little bit of fact in the competition world. A rally car competing on the road needs special insurance. If you retire from a rally then the numbers should be removed as you are no longer ‘in an event’ so the competition insurance is no longer in place. However your normal road insurance won’t cover you for competition, so if the numbers are left in place they will use it as a get out clause.

#4 InnoCooperExport

InnoCooperExport

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Nederland

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:58 PM

My dad used to tell me back in the day you could lose your competition licence if you were caught with competition numbers out on the road outside of a rally. 

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 19 August 2019 - 01:20 PM

Real rally or race cars or competition drivers will never have numbers on their doors when driving normally on public roads and not actually competing, although it is not unusual for the white squares to actually be painted onto the doors of a rally car. My full-spec historic rally 'S' has white squares painted onto the doors because the white fablon is difficult to apply and can look scruffy.

A number on a white background on a road car just shouts out 'Boy Racer'. It looks pretty silly as well. "Look at me, I'm a racing driver"!

I'm not sure the normal road insurance is invalid if a rally car retires from a rally. Once retired one is no longer entered in a competition and unless there is a clause in the normal insurance which prohibits any stickers on the car, then normal cover will apply. I know that I have often driven my rally cars complete with rally plates from the point of retirement to where my trailer was parked without removing the numbers.

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:03 PM

Just paint police down the side in foot high capitals, that'll cover it. ?

#7 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:08 PM

Just paint police down the side in foot high capitals, that'll cover it.

While you might not get away with 'police', Polite would be OK I think :-)

#8 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:58 PM

Real rally or race cars or competition drivers will never have numbers on their doors when driving normally on public roads and not actually competing, although it is not unusual for the white squares to actually be painted onto the doors of a rally car. My full-spec historic rally 'S' has white squares painted onto the doors because the white fablon is difficult to apply and can look scruffy.

A number on a white background on a road car just shouts out 'Boy Racer'. It looks pretty silly as well. "Look at me, I'm a racing driver"!

I'm not sure the normal road insurance is invalid if a rally car retires from a rally. Once retired one is no longer entered in a competition and unless there is a clause in the normal insurance which prohibits any stickers on the car, then normal cover will apply. I know that I have often driven my rally cars complete with rally plates from the point of retirement to where my trailer was parked without removing the numbers.

We used to have to remove them after a rally or at least put a diagonal black tape or masking tape on them to show that we were no longer on a competition.

#9 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:19 PM

My understanding is you can do want you want re white sqares or circles

The problem might come if you put numbers on

I think the MSA blue book says not to run on the road with numbers unless crossed out

They should have a cross of black tape across, thats what I do

A jobs worth copper might argue you are racing on the road, don't know if he could bounce you into court or not

Not sure if they have the man power for such stuff these days

#10 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:22 PM

R.6.1.Any means of identification fixed for theCompetition must be removed when a Competitorretires, is disqualified from, or completes the event.

so it part of the rules you have to remove them, ive driven home from most events forgetting to remove them, but also the car is usually that dirty you cant read them anyway!

#11 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:47 PM

I have a large blemish in paint on my drivers door. Rather than having it re-sprayed that would stick out from the car a few people have suggested putting those white round race numbers on my doors to cover it up for time being. I like the idea as it would make my car look a bit sportier, I've seen ha few minis with these on but is legal/Ok?

do what i did and get a magnetic roll off/foil ebay for 20€. 0.4mm thick, 1m long x 1m wide. I cut a square and a circle from that and can swap anytime i like as they hold on the door perfectly!

#12 blackbelt1990

blackbelt1990

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Local Club: Minimus Maximus

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:52 PM

The rule about covering numbers on the road was dropped from the MSA blue book this year.

#13 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:31 PM

i quoted from the 2019 blue book

page 297its still there

#14 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:43 PM

I'm not sure the normal road insurance is invalid if a rally car retires from a rally. Once retired one is no longer entered in a competition and unless there is a clause in the normal insurance which prohibits any stickers on the car, then normal cover will apply.

In theory, yes. But if you were involved in an accident with event numbers on, especially where liability was contested, it is almost guaranteeable that your (or the other parties) insurance would hold it against your they could see a way to wriggle out of a claim.

#15 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:45 PM

R.6.1.[/size]Any means of identification fixed for the[/size]Competition must be removed when [/size]a Competitor[/size]retires, is disqualified from, or completes the event. [/size]

so it part of the rules you have to remove them, ive driven home from most events forgetting to remove them, but also the car is usually that dirty you cant read them anyway!

But the MSUK rules have no legal standing and certainly couldn’t be applied to someone who doesn’t hold an MSUK membership card, sorry ‘licence’.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users