10 replies to this topic

#1 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:28 AM

Guys, as above, have the option of so called Van tyres (I believe they are trailer tyres) or "normal" saloon car tyres. They are radials (I am told) I have the standard 3.5" *10" steel wheels. Are the so called "van" tyres legal on a car in the UK, or should I just fit the Standard saloon tyres. The car is a 998 standard in everyway drums all round 1981 Pickup, I am seeing the rear tyres side walls cracking presumabley due to age and weight, as it did spend 4 hrs at 60 MPH on the motorway to Bristol fully laden, and after that the side walls looked a little tardy. So was just thinking would Van tyres on the rear be a better option, and indeed are they legal ?

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:41 AM

you don't need "van" tyres on a pick up as the max load it can carry is way less than the normal rating of the road tyres.

#3 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:56 AM

Hi Nick,

I agree they are not needed from a weight point of view. I was thinking more along the lines of longevity as the tyres are likely to be worn out via age well before the tread is used up (I do very little mileage). The Van sidewalls are much stronger, I am told, so in theory might last longer, but I am not sure on the legality of them. 

#4 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 20 August 2019 - 10:13 AM

You need to check whether they are E-marked and correctly speed rated.
I have not seen 145 x 10 van tyres, so be sure that they arenot some sort of buggy tyre and not for road use.
There are very few 10" tyres now available and for a Pick-Up a normal 145/80 x 10 should be ideal.

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 10:30 AM

Hi Nick,

I agree they are not needed from a weight point of view. I was thinking more along the lines of longevity as the tyres are likely to be worn out via age well before the tread is used up (I do very little mileage). The Van sidewalls are much stronger, I am told, so in theory might last longer, but I am not sure on the legality of them. 

will not last any longer the rubber will just go off at the same rate.

#6 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 10:42 AM

cheers guys, I think the "normal" 145 / 10 tyre it is then

#7 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 20 August 2019 - 12:22 PM

I have Falken Sincera (145/80/10) tyres on my Clubman Estate, I never have a heavy load on the car so I use 28psi front and 30psi rear.

I sourced the tyres from the Black Circle website, the tyres were shipped directly to the fitters, I'd went along and spoken to them regarding fitting price (Got the fitting cheaper as the wheels were brand new Cooper wheels)

Edited by cal844, 20 August 2019 - 12:22 PM.

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 12:51 PM

I have Falken Sincera (145/80/10) tyres on my Clubman Estate, I never have a heavy load on the car so I use 28psi front and 30psi rear.

I sourced the tyres from the Black Circle website, the tyres were shipped directly to the fitters, I'd went along and spoken to them regarding fitting price (Got the fitting cheaper as the wheels were brand new Cooper wheels)

and they have a load rating of 325kg each so 4 will do a pick up and its load easy.

#9 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 02:22 PM

Cheers guys much appreciated

#10 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 20 August 2019 - 03:16 PM

and they have a load rating of 325kg each so 4 will do a pick up and its load easy.

Yes that's correct with the load rating, they're good tyres for dry and wet conditions aslong as they aren't pushed too hard.

#11 MiNiKiN

MiNiKiN

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 12:46 PM

Moved to a separate tread ;) in Chat Section

https://www.theminif...aybe/?p=3683431

Attached Files

Edited by MiNiKiN, 08 February 2021 - 01:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users