#1 NunoTT

NunoTT

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:54 AM

Hi!

I'm going to remove the engine from my Mini next week (I need to change the gearbox seal and I'll also go over some other stuff) and I wanted to know what are the correct lift points of the engine.

I've seen people lift them from the valve cover bolts, other from the cylinder head bolts and other just use a tow strap going under and over the engine/gear box.

So I've decided to ask you what is the best and safest way to remove the engine. Keep in mind that I need to separate the engine from the gearbox, so I think using a tow strap is out of the question...

As for the head bolts, I wasn't thinking of removing the head, so I don't really want to retorque the head, but if I have to, so be it.

Valve cover bolts... That just seems unsafe... Can they really hold all that wheight?

If there is any other alternative, please let me know.

Cheers!

NunoTT

#2 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,038 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 20 August 2019 - 10:15 AM

I use the original-type lift bracket and fit the bracket iunder the front centre head stud nut.
Took a 998 engine out like that just yesterday.

#3 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:07 AM

Valve cover studs, that's how the factory lifted the engines.

#4 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:19 AM

Always lift mine by the two head studs either side if the front centre stud, using the lifting eyes that came with bl replacement engines.

Attached Files

#5 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:22 AM

I use the centre head stud. Just like Cooperman I used them on my 998 yesterday. You need the lifting point to be biased to the front side of the engine to get the tilt/angle right to squeeze it out of the engine bay.

48573556177_533df98f96_b.jpg

Minispares have these:

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

Minisport have the other type:

TOL001071

#6 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:50 AM

Always lift mine by the two head studs either side if the front centre stud, using the lifting eyes that came with bl replacement engines.

Where did you get that crank damper ?

#7 imack

imack

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:56 AM

It's an MED one from a few years ago, new versions are a more subtle black colour.

#8 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 12:07 PM

I've bought some proper brackets now but every engine I've moved has been on the rocker cover bolts/studs. The engine lifts very evenly on them (doesn't tend to tip forward/backward).

#9 imack

imack

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 03:03 PM

If you lift an engine with a remote or magic wand type shifter the engine needs tilting for the shifter housing to clear the subframe

#10 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:34 PM

I've slung rope around the bottom of the 'box a few times. What a PITA.

It was a revelation with a lifting eye on the centre head stud. Tipped the engine back absolutely perfectly. Plus you can clip the hoist hook directly onto it without having to take up any slack.

#11 NunoTT

NunoTT

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 11:30 AM

Thank you all for your help!

#12 Hedgey

Hedgey

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:42 PM

I’ve never had the proper lifting eye/ jig so alway use a ratchet strap under the gearbox. Works fine and is easy to undo (unlike rope)

#13 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:42 PM

I use either an old seatbelt or the angle adjuster.

We use the coil stud and a spare manifold stud that has had a nut and large washer welded on it in such a manner that we can still undo the stud IF it snaps (never in 10 years) for me and countless engine removals

#14 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:41 PM

Never removed the engine but a chap I watch on YouTube uses the spark plug holes... no idea if that’s a good idea or not but it hasn’t been mentioned so I’ll throw it into the conversation as a suggestion

#15 jeffster06

jeffster06

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:31 PM

Never removed the engine but a chap I watch on YouTube uses the spark plug holes... no idea if that’s a good idea or not but it hasn’t been mentioned so I’ll throw it into the conversation as a suggestion

I used the spark plug holes when reinstalling my engine (head was off when I pulled it out). it tips quite a bit using this method but it still managed to get the engine back into the bay.

What I want to know is if there is an easier way to work around the brake booster? I have a 91 Cooper and found I have to push the clutch side down lower to swing it under the brake master to get it into the bay. Does lifting from the rocker cover bolts make it easier? Or should I have removed the booster to put the engine in? Only asking because my engine will be coming back out again soon and im dreading trying to pull it out around the booster. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users