Kevdee

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Local Club: Teesside Bogmog

Posted 20 August 2019 - 06:53 PM

Have a 95 spi , and wiper not
Parking fitted new park switch and fitted new cable connector to the wire as it looked passed it’s best , wiper arm/stalk on steering wheel has been checked and changed so can I check for voltages any where or test I can do , ideas ,, thanks guys

#2 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 20 August 2019 - 07:11 PM

Hi Kev,

The park switch is operated by a raised section on the crank wheel inside the wiper motor gearbox. It might be worth removing the flat plate on the gearbox and having a look to see if the raised section on the crank wheel is worn. If the gearbox is low on grease this section can wear and not operate the park switch fully giving you non-working wipers!

Cheers, Steve.

#3 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:14 PM

What's the problem? Do they just stop dead when turned off or not stop at all?

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:43 PM

I had wipers that stopped dead, changed the wiper motor and they wouldn't stop... I had to change the park switch and crank wheel as the flat section was worn lol

Edited by cal844, 20 August 2019 - 09:43 PM.

#5 jeffster06

jeffster06

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 12:56 PM

I had an issue where I cleaned my wiper gear and then they wouldn't turn off. ended up replacing the park switch and the gear because the ramp fell apart on me. Now I have an issue where the wipers won't stop if the windshield is barely wet, guess I need to open it up again. 

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 21 August 2019 - 02:12 PM

Hows it mounted? The park switch doesn't only break the supply to the motor at the right time, it also earths the windings (via the clip that hold it in the casting) so the induced/residual current drains and it stops dead before the park switch contacts can close again.

A good first move would be to pull the park switch from the motor and operate it manually  to see if and how quickly it stops the action.

#7 Kevdee

Kevdee

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Local Club: Teesside Bogmog

Posted 21 August 2019 - 03:26 PM

Yes guys basically starts as it should but won’t stop hahah I’ll take it apart and look more closely get back to you never tried the switch manually the hump on the drive cog looks good nick don’t think it’s that ,, but I’ll double check everything and get back to you all

#8 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,486 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:06 PM

Mine did the same as this, we had to change the crank wheel as the pad had a groove worn through it, just deep enough so that the park switch wouldn't work.

Connect the park switch up, then operate the switch manually and then fit it to the motor, try the wipers, it should now stop perfectly

#9 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,486 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:29 PM

Mine did the same as this, we had to change the crank wheel as the pad had a groove worn through it, just deep enough so that the park switch wouldn't work.

Connect the park switch up, then operate the switch manually and then fit it to the motor, try the wipers, it should now work perfectly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users