#1 mikewantsamk1

mikewantsamk1

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:41 PM

Hi All, 

Having owned a Mk3 998 and a Clubman 30 years ago, I now find myself in a position where I may be able to pick up an early 60s Austin Seven De-Lux.

In very good original condition, these cars seem to be around £10-£15k, less than a Mk1 Austin Mini and less than half the price of a Cooper, but for me still an iconic mini and everything a mini should for me.

Heart strings aside, the big question for me is around the investment.  It seems many haven't heard of the Seven, confused why it's not got Mini on the badge, but I'm thinking that it's possibly a sounder investment?

Be really interested to hear anyone views and thoughts on this topic!

#2 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 21 August 2019 - 09:26 PM

When you sell your perceived investment, to get an investment premium, you have got to find another "invester" to buy it, and if you can't find one, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay at the time for a Mini.

#3 InnoCooperExport

InnoCooperExport

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Nederland

Posted 21 August 2019 - 09:33 PM

Funny you should say people haven't heard of the Seven, the biggest Mini Club over here in The Netherlands is called the Mini Seven Club!

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 21 August 2019 - 09:52 PM

I have never known a Mk1 Mini enthusiast who would value an Austin Seven (Mini) any different to an Austin Mini or a Morris Mini-Minor, apart from being based on condition, basic or deluxe,  the earlier the year of the Mini (or Seven) the higher the value, with 1959 built and registered models usually being the most sought after. If you don't believe me register with the Mk1 Forum below and ask the same question:-

http://mk1-forum.net...289b20dc7046a13

The reason the Austin Seven was eventually named as a Mini like the Morris, was because everyone was calling them Minis whatever the badge said. The seven name was used to provide a link to the original Austin Seven small cars from earlier eras for sales and marketing, customers were very loyal to brands back then so BMC used 'badge engineering' to market the same basic car to different customers and their local Austin or Morris Dealers often in the same town. Later the Elf and Hornet were produced by BMC to allow their Riley and Wolseley Dealerships to sell 'upmarket' Minis to their customers.

Edited by mab01uk, 21 August 2019 - 10:03 PM.

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 21 August 2019 - 10:00 PM

The Mk.1 850 Mini was called the Austin Seven from 1959 until around 1963 when it was realised that the 'Mini' name was what everyone was using for the car. The Morris version was always the 'MINI-MINOR'.

There should be no difference in value except that a really early car, 1959 or '60, will have a higher value so long as it is in original condition.

#6 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 10:17 PM

I have a 1960 morris mini minor. Investment wise, the earlier the better. Older they are the more they’re worth basically. Lots of early features set the seven and minors aside from the rest. Pre October 60 and you’ll have a sought after car there due to the shell having non recessed windows and straight wand stick. If the seven you’re looking at has these it’s a great investment.

Edited by Minigman, 21 August 2019 - 10:18 PM.

#7 matt615

matt615

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 02:46 PM

Hi All,

In very good original condition, these cars seem to be around £10-£15k, less than a Mk1 Austin Mini and less than half the price of a Cooper, but for me still an iconic mini and everything a mini should for me.
!

An Austin Seven should actually be worth more than a MK1 Austin Mini. It’s just an earlier version of the same car with a different badge on it.

As said 1959 and early 1960 Austin Seven badged Minis are worth a small fortune.

#8 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:05 PM

Just buy it and enjoy it!, Hate "investors" when it comes to cars, you'll maybe not make your fortune with it but you'll hardly lose money on one provided it is maintained and not let deterioriate.

#9 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:16 PM

Buying for investment is a lottery, yes classics will likely go up in years to come, but you have to be thinking 10-15 years plus, as most classics, especially Minis, have already made those big gains already.  So only the cream of the crop will continue to rise, Cooper S etc. Unfortunately some forget that a car is not like buying say a watch or jewellery for investment, you have to keep it in great condition, and keep spending money on it, keep insuring it, storing it etc, it won't be cheap. yes classic policies are cheap, but that might not last, there are so many factors to consider. Will you be able to get fuel for it in 10, 20 years time, will it cost an arm and leg even if you can? Will non electric cars get banned from towns and cities.

So buy it to enjoy it, yes you might make a few quid, but you might also break even considering all of the above.

#10 matt615

matt615

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:19 PM

There should be no difference in value except that a really early car, 1959 or '60, will have a higher value so long as it is in original condition.

That reminds me of an article in one of the Mini mags once. Someone had ‘restored’ their 1960 Mini. It had before and after pictures.

BEFORE - a lovely completely original 1960 Mini in fairly good nick.

AFTER - A Rover Cooper replica with big alloys, bonnet stripes, 1275 A+ engine etc. Nothing original left.

Madness.

#11 matt615

matt615

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:19 PM

duplicate post

Edited by matt615, 22 August 2019 - 03:20 PM.

#12 mikewantsamk1

mikewantsamk1

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:53 AM

Thanks for the advice all, really useful to hear your thoughts.

Off this morning to visit this pretty '61 Austin Seven.

20190821_184658.jpg

#13 G'Racy

G'Racy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:37 AM

That’s a beauty

#14 jomaoliveira79

jomaoliveira79

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:23 AM

All done with taste and period correct. I love this mods as all cars of that time had some kind of aftermarket accessories.

#15 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:44 PM

https://www.classicc...tin/mini/314538

I love the extra switch panel, presume this is homemade, near seen one before like that.

Interesting seat bracket, presume aftermarket.

That door mirror really lets the car down in my humble opinion, looks too modern (I realise its like the old style racing mirrors), apart from that cracking little mini,

Edited by beardylondon, 23 August 2019 - 12:55 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users