7 replies to this topic

#1 mcd40000

mcd40000

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 10:01 PM

I recently purchased my first classic mini, 1990 Rover Mini Mayfair RHD Japanese export but imported into the United States several years ago. I have been driving it for a month or so to see how she handles and get a feel for the upgrades and maintenance I'd like to accomplish this winter.  I arrived at work the other day turned the engine off and hear a loud noise followed by steam and the smell of burning oil. Within minutes all the oil had leaked onto the ground. The rod change gearbox oil seal needs to be replace but my question is can that seal be the cause of such a dramatic oil leak? I haven't been able to find any other source of such a large leak.

I appreciate all of your help!

Attached Files

#2 jeffster06

jeffster06

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 02:22 AM

It is a low point on the gearbox so I could see it being possible to dump all the oil. A quick test would be to add maybe a quart or half a quart and see if it all pours out of the box. When you say all oil do you mean literally 5 quarts on the ground?

#3 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:49 AM

It looks like you have a sump guard on there which looks a very tight fit to the g box. You may need to remove that to check the casing isn't cracked. Also with a sump guard the oil runs along it to the lowest point and forms a pool and then "pours" out so it can look like the leak is coming from somewhere totally different to where it is actually leaking

#4 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:19 AM

Have you found the source of the steam ?, and probably more important, the cause of the loud noise, which sounds expensive.

#5 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 12:04 PM

No the gear rod seal will not dump that amount of oil in one go even if its worn - looking at your pic it appears ok. What will dump oil is if a pot joint seal has moved out or as said above, a cracked sump.

But a loud noise followed by steam and the smell of burning oil says something has gone horribly wrong; maybe a con rod through the block and gearbox.

#6 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 12:09 PM

Maybe it wasn't oil that leaked out, it might have been coolant from a burst radiator hose??

#7 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 22 August 2019 - 12:11 PM

I don't do Twitter.

What does Trump say about it ?

#8 jeffster06

jeffster06

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 01:16 PM

I don't do Twitter.

What does Trump say about it ?

He said the leak was bigly.. yuge... biggest hes ever seen and that he knows everything there is to know about large oil leaks. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users