• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 28 August 2019 - 06:09 AM

A Company in my neighborhood makes some that looks quite ok:

https://austin-mini....s-factices.html

Not cheap but quite interesting

Wow, that is a lot of money for knocking the pins out of a set of "genuine" Minispares hinges.

#17 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 06:49 AM

A Company in my neighborhood makes some that looks quite ok:

https://austin-mini....s-factices.html

Not cheap but quite interesting

Wow, that is a lot of money for knocking the pins out of a set of "genuine" Minispares hinges.

They’re a bit more than that, they have re-engineered the design to allow the door section to slide back to enable the door to actually open.

#18 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 07:08 PM

Well yeah. Otherwise it would rattle or it would not open.

#19 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 01:22 PM

These are the hinges I’ve got

Attached Files

#20 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 04:37 PM

Are these stuck on with "Blue Peter's" famous "Double Sided Stick Tape" ?

#21 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 04:42 PM

Are these stuck on with "Blue Peter's" famous "Double Sided Stick Tape" ?

Yup, although good strong Japanese version

#22 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 04:57 PM

At £165-00, I think I'd have to insure them with Lloyd's of London.

#23 BudgieCake

BudgieCake

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Local Club: Midweekminis

Posted 23 September 2019 - 11:13 PM

I made my own before converting to real ones, I tested the theory out so I only bought a second hand hind and of course theyre all different. 

Main jobber

So I made a cast of the two parts and used a two part plastic that sets within 2 minutes, its very brittle so I broke a few drilling them and the fitment is questionable but thats my fault for not getting a good hinge. One cast I taped the together and drilled a hole though the piece, I started with a 2mm drillbit and then stuck a rivet shaft in the hole to keep it aligned till I drilled (of the top of my head 5mm or 5.2mm?) to tap a m6 thread in the top and bottom hole of the smaller hinge.

So I had my parts with one tapped. I opened up the long hole so it wouldn't catch, only by a mm, I didn't know how heat would effect anything on hot days and was paranoid for a sticky hinge. I then cut down some bolts to bit the hole would've been easier to get threaded bar but I was working with what I had on hand; I made them into grub screws. I cut then short and wound them into the holes so the heads werent sticking out either side of the hing piece and then used medium body filler to fill the hole and that was the main part finished. 

Fixing to the car

So on the small side i files a little section out to fit some sticky tape but if I was doing this again id just tiger seal it on. I wanted to take them off so I didnt get lynched at shows so I whacked some 3m tape on it and it held up well to driving and all sorts of weather apart from the cold, I did this summer.

the long big was going to slide on the door, first thing I did was test magnets and in the end I bought a pack of micro strong magnets that, in numbers are a deadly force, actually felt like a gravity source they had that much pull! Which was class because I didnt have to mess with springs! I drilled holes the length of the tail and just pushed the magnets into place to hold them in, you could glue them for security and covered the tail with some adhesive fabric tap to avoid scratching the paint up. And done, lick of paint and they looked okay, would be better if you cast the parts correctly instead of using a clapped out hinge.

Im not sure how much they cost since I was just messing, if you can borrow the hinges then youre onto something but if you cant you need to buy the real deal, so youd loose money on them selling them 2nd hand, the cast and mould equipment was about £50 and you can do 2 hinges, thats mould and one kit could easily cast over 20 individual units. so Its possibly cheaper but a lot more involved work, heres one I made earlier 

48733955773_6b859cb290_z.jpg

48734245441_18cb88dd6a_z.jpg

48734245186_86d0595cc9_z.jpg

48777732086_4c69669567_z.jpg

48777730691_bf2cb5dde1_z.jpg

48777373448_ab808589b4_z.jpg

#24 shish_happens

shish_happens

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:43 AM

I made my own before converting to real ones, I tested the theory out so I only bought a second hand hind and of course theyre all different. 
Main jobber
So I made a cast of the two parts and used a two part plastic that sets within 2 minutes, its very brittle so I broke a few drilling them and the fitment is questionable but thats my fault for not getting a good hinge. One cast I taped the together and drilled a hole though the piece, I started with a 2mm drillbit and then stuck a rivet shaft in the hole to keep it aligned till I drilled (of the top of my head 5mm or 5.2mm?) to tap a m6 thread in the top and bottom hole of the smaller hinge.
So I had my parts with one tapped. I opened up the long hole so it wouldn't catch, only by a mm, I didn't know how heat would effect anything on hot days and was paranoid for a sticky hinge. I then cut down some bolts to bit the hole would've been easier to get threaded bar but I was working with what I had on hand; I made them into grub screws. I cut then short and wound them into the holes so the heads werent sticking out either side of the hing piece and then used medium body filler to fill the hole and that was the main part finished. 

Fixing to the car
So on the small side i files a little section out to fit some sticky tape but if I was doing this again id just tiger seal it on. I wanted to take them off so I didnt get lynched at shows so I whacked some 3m tape on it and it held up well to driving and all sorts of weather apart from the cold, I did this summer.

the long big was going to slide on the door, first thing I did was test magnets and in the end I bought a pack of micro strong magnets that, in numbers are a deadly force, actually felt like a gravity source they had that much pull! Which was class because I didnt have to mess with springs! I drilled holes the length of the tail and just pushed the magnets into place to hold them in, you could glue them for security and covered the tail with some adhesive fabric tap to avoid scratching the paint up. And done, lick of paint and they looked okay, would be better if you cast the parts correctly instead of using a clapped out hinge.

Im not sure how much they cost since I was just messing, if you can borrow the hinges then youre onto something but if you cant you need to buy the real deal, so youd loose money on them selling them 2nd hand, the cast and mould equipment was about £50 and you can do 2 hinges, thats mould and one kit could easily cast over 20 individual units. so Its possibly cheaper but a lot more involved work, heres one I made earlier 

48733955773_6b859cb290_z.jpg
48734245441_18cb88dd6a_z.jpg
48734245186_86d0595cc9_z.jpg
48777732086_4c69669567_z.jpg
48777730691_bf2cb5dde1_z.jpg
48777373448_ab808589b4_z.jpg

Impressive work much better than anything I could have cobbled together. Ended up not doing anything in the end as no matter what it was going to cost an arm and a leg for fake hinges. Although my car won't look as cool :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users