35 replies to this topic

#1 markking

markking

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 01:07 AM

So I have to replace my bootlid and it’s not like the old days when you can just pick a decent one up for cheap, so the option of a fibreglass unit is appealing.

However I haven’t really had much to do with fibreglass panels other than a horrendous fitting bonnet.

So my questions are,
Are the double skinned bootlids being created now any better than “back in the day” ie,
Is the fitment ok?
Can all original hardware (hinges, locks and straps) be retained?
Which company is best? I’m debating between the archangels “elite” range and the abs motorsports double skin option.

All advice is greatly received.
Thanks as always legends!!!

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:04 AM

I am sure most are fine but there will be others that are poor. It all depends on who you buy from. And who has actually made them.

#3 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:03 AM

Actually i had the same question. I just bought an Elite arc Angels boot lid. If you Can wait a day, I'll post a quick "review" so to speak so you Can see for yourself if it's good enough for your application.

I had hard time finding something, still not sure if it's good but that's one that gave me the most confidence. So far.

#4 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:05 PM

So I have to replace my bootlid and it’s not like the old days when you can just pick a decent one up for cheap, so the option of a fibreglass unit is appealing.

However I haven’t really had much to do with fibreglass panels other than a horrendous fitting bonnet.

So my questions are,
Are the double skinned bootlids being created now any better than “back in the day” ie,
Is the fitment ok?
Can all original hardware (hinges, locks and straps) be retained?
Which company is best? I’m debating between the archangels “elite” range and the abs motorsports double skin option.

All advice is greatly received.
Thanks as always legends!!!

Well, correction.  Arc Angels did send me an elite boot lid in fiber glass. it is very well made. however they sent me an mk1 and not an mk3 so I'm kind of stuck. So I'll check with Tristan how we shall proceed.

#5 markking

markking

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 09:12 PM

Benoit,
I'm actually debating between the mk1 and mk3 but my main question is about build quality and strength.

Does the elite, look flimsy or quite robust ie does it look as if it will flex and rattle?

I'm over in nz so packaging is a slight concern also, did the bootlid come well bubble wrapped and protected?

Have you had a dry fit yet? How do the body lines compare with the steel item?

Thanks so much for your reply.

#6 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:21 AM

Benoit,
I'm actually debating between the mk1 and mk3 but my main question is about build quality and strength.

Does the elite, look flimsy or quite robust ie does it look as if it will flex and rattle?

I'm over in nz so packaging is a slight concern also, did the bootlid come well bubble wrapped and protected?

Have you had a dry fit yet? How do the body lines compare with the steel item?

Thanks so much for your reply.

ok so I don't want to do a dry installation just now because I will have to ship it back, so I don't want to leave any marks for the next owner which actually might be you in fact if you order it through that supplier. so let's keep it clean.  :D

things I can say so far:

- yes it comes with triple bubble wrap + cardboard. So it's going to arrive to you safely, I'm quite sure.

- my contact there was Tristan, he is very friendly, and was able to ship within 3 weeks time, which is good. you can email or call him and ask what he has currently in stock. they keep a little stock of the stuff that is most comon. exotics orders will be made to order, so expect delay if you need a formula 1 carbon fiber elite boot lid.  :proud:

- the gel coat on it is well made. it's smooth, spread correctly, it comes in grey. 

- it is very sturdy. it won't flex or rattle that's for sure. the double skin is very rigid.

- it comes with drilled holes for the original mounting points.

- it has the retaining captive screws for the little cords that are preventing the boot lid to open too much. as on the original.

several things to know:

- it weight about 2kg. so if you do it for the sake of pure weight, then it's rather pointless, really. you still save roughly 50% weight, you'll cancel the benefit of it if you install a wooden dashboard :)

- it is thicker than the metal. so the original mounting screws for the hinge will look a bit short. might need to ditch the washer.

- because it is thicker, it will apply more pressure to the rubber seal, of course. so it will be harder to close, but nothing that can't be handled.

- although I did not make a dry mount, I removed my original boot lid and the fiber class seems to be a bit too curvy: I think it will fit in place, but might show some little gap. I will investigate that with Tristan. not sure if mk1 and mk3 have the exact same curvature.

- the edge of the boot lids will need some preparation I think, which is kind of expected: it's the place were both skins come in contact, therefore, when cut, it slices through it, nothing than a bit of sanding can't solve.

So overall, my impression on this product is rather good. it's solid build, good quality. my only reservation so far is the curvature. I'll check with Tristan and come back to you ASAP.

hope this helps!

#7 markking

markking

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:39 PM

Wow, what an in depth reply and explanation. A lot better and more honest than any of the replies I’ve received directly from suppliers.

I will definitely be waiting for your next delivery and thoughts before even considering purchasing.

Thanks so much I’ll be watching this space.

#8 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 01:18 PM

Wow, what an in depth reply and explanation. A lot better and more honest than any of the replies I’ve received directly from suppliers.

I will definitely be waiting for your next delivery and thoughts before even considering purchasing.

Thanks so much I’ll be watching this space.

you're welcome.

I'll get Tristan on the phone or by Email in the next couple of days to sort things out. I have issued him a couple of questions too with respect to what I have stated above.

nothing will ever be perfect with aftermarket panels. there is a consensus that Carbon Weasels do the best carbon fiber fitting elements for classic mini, if you have buck loads of bucks for it. Arc Angels seem to have as well a good reputation those days from what I read and indeed the quality of the part shows that. I think they will also issue more elite panels in the future and I have also asked them if they can CNC some of the parts I designed. right now I manufactured them in aluminium but maybe carbon fiber is a good alternative. 

Stay tuned!

#9 markking

markking

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 02:50 AM

Fantastic in depth reply again Benoit.

Can’t really warrant the price for carbon.. however aluminium could be an interesting option over fibreglass if they’re in the same ballpark for price, not something I’ve considered but will do some research.

To reiterate my reasoning, is mainly for the non rust aspect of the fibreglass (or now aluminium could be an option if there are suppliers at reasonable prices) and also the fact a decent second hand one is non existent here in New Zealand, oh the good old days of picking a whole mini up for next to nothing.

I certainly will be staying tuned, and really do appreciate all your help.

Edited by markking, 27 August 2019 - 02:51 AM.

#10 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 06:53 AM

Fantastic in depth reply again Benoit.

Can’t really warrant the price for carbon.. however aluminium could be an interesting option over fibreglass if they’re in the same ballpark for price, not something I’ve considered but will do some research.

To reiterate my reasoning, is mainly for the non rust aspect of the fibreglass (or now aluminium could be an option if there are suppliers at reasonable prices) and also the fact a decent second hand one is non existent here in New Zealand, oh the good old days of picking a whole mini up for next to nothing.

I certainly will be staying tuned, and really do appreciate all your help.

just to avoid any confusion in my message: I'm not making aluminum body panels. the one I make right now are parts of a mechanism. those parts I will see if I can get those cut by Arc Angels in Carbon.

to my knowledge, there is no aluminum body panels appart from door skins and boot lid skins. but then again, it's just the outer skin, no structura rigidity and you will still need the internal part to make it work. 

I believe there used to be projects for aluminium double skin bonnets but I think this never got to any production in the end. 

#11 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 07:27 AM

All right, so quick update:

Tristan is arranging the return of the Elite Fiber Glass MK1. he also confirms that all the boot lids have the same curvature, MK1 or MK-whatever. so the one I will receive should have the same curvature. I'll fit it when I receive it so you can see how it goes.

Cheers.

Benoit 

#12 markking

markking

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 09:09 PM

Appreciated as always Benoit.

I look forward to seeing one fitted and your opinion of its rigidity and operation with the boot lock etc.

Mark

#13 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 10:44 AM

Hi,

the boot lid is shipping back next week to Arc Angels (was the wrong MK type). but before packing it, I thought I would share with you some pictures of it so you can see for yourself.

for info: this is an MK1 Fiber glass double skin Elite range panel from Arc Angel.

the outer Gelcoat is absolutely beautiful. it's flat and shinny. of course you'll have to sand it down to paint it but it's really good.

Attached File  IMG_20190907_115419-W600.jpg   20.02K   10 downloads

all provisions are there for the door hardware. 

Attached File  IMG_20190907_115427-W600.jpg   13.34K   6 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20190907_115457-W600.jpg   23.33K   8 downloads

even captive nuts for the original retaining cords are in there.

the inner of the boot lid is really well finished too.

Attached File  IMG_20190907_115634-W600.jpg   24.26K   6 downloads

it has a little carbon "Elite" Stamp in the back as well.

on the back surface there are some bits that will need sanding on the gelcoat before painting.

It's too bad really that its not the right MK for me, since my car is MK3. so I am sending this one back, but definitely confirm my order and get the MK3 instead. 

it's probably a bit more expensive than what you get from other vendors but I think the pictures speak for themselve. Money well spent I think. 

Edited by Benoit_Dupont, 07 September 2019 - 10:45 AM.

#14 markking

markking

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:02 PM

Fantastic Benoit.
This is exactly what I wanted to see, in your opinion the panel seems pretty solid/rigid?

It’s not going to flap around or distort when fitted?
The hardware retainers seem sturdy enough to hold, when the weight of the bootlid is on them?

Thanks so much again Benoit I think you have helped make my decision.
Mark.

#15 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:19 AM

Fantastic Benoit.
This is exactly what I wanted to see, in your opinion the panel seems pretty solid/rigid?

It’s not going to flap around or distort when fitted?
The hardware retainers seem sturdy enough to hold, when the weight of the bootlid is on them?

Thanks so much again Benoit I think you have helped make my decision.
Mark.

Hi Mark,

you're welcome! I have been looking myself for months for such information myself before ordering, so I'm glad this helps.

it is definitely not going to flap: the double skin is very ridig, no worries there.

as for the reataining harware, I don't know. since I sent it back, I did not want to scratch it. by fitting hardware on it. plus I don't have MK1 hardware anyway.

if you are patient, I have requested from Tristan an MK3 bootlid, so I can fit my hardware on it. It will be a couple of weeks however.

anyway, glad I can help you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users