35 replies to this topic

#16 markking

markking

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:50 AM

Living in New Zealand and ordering from the uk... I’m used to being patient.

I am actually thinking of the mk1/2 bootlid anyway with the addition of the number plate surround.

I went on the arc angels website to price it all up but they seem to be having technical difficulty as nothing is able to “add to cart”

I will update as and when I have ordered but one again Ali appreciate all of your in depth explanations they have been very helpful in making my decision.

Just have to see if I can get the delivery charges down a little.

#17 jaysmini1983

jaysmini1983

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Local Club: West Country Mini's

Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:54 AM

this is mine. im happy ish with it. it was about £80 from ebay about 2 years ago. undrilled and drilled/fitted everything myself. 

however since rebuilding/painting this june and then fitting the later boot seal i have noticed the fibreglass as moved from pressing against the seal. im planning to use the pre 1988 seal and hope thats better.

picture for fitment

Attached File  IMG_1276.jpg   83.89K   1 downloads

Edited by jaysmini1983, 18 September 2019 - 09:54 AM.

#18 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 07:09 PM

fits quite good actually, and it suites your build nicely with no bumpers, all smooth ! great look !

#19 markking

markking

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 01:56 AM

I pulled the trigger and got an arc angels elite mk1 thanks for all the advice.

Just waiting on the delivery man, but New Zealand is a little distance so I’m lot holding my breath.

I’ll post pics as/when it arrives

#20 jaysmini1983

jaysmini1983

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Local Club: West Country Mini's

Posted 03 October 2019 - 07:20 AM

Little update. now with clear lights looks a little better. 

Attached Files

#21 haz

haz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 07:52 AM

I can highly recommend the carbon weazle double skin boot lid. Amazing quality!

LC6EhUq.jpg

I've since got it to fit without the use of speedtape :P (the hinge plate on the car needed some persuading)

And another of the internals.

S3p6l0Y.jpg

#22 markking

markking

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 10:12 PM

Haz,
How are the quality of those bumpers?
They look amazing!
Are they nice and strong?
What are the bolt holes/fixings like?

May be the next thing on the ever expanding list.
Mark

#23 haz

haz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:15 AM

They're fairly rigid. They only have 2 mounting points rather than 5 for the metal ones. They're built into the bumper in carbon and very sturdy.

I imagine the outer edges will flap in the wind a little, cannot confirm though.

Same for the boot lid, comes all drilled off and ready to fit. I had to fettle the lock mechanism hole very slightly with a dremel and also drill off the boot light (not included).

Numberplate holes would also have to be drilled for the boot but I'm going down the sticker plate route for the weight saving :lol:

Edited by haz, 04 October 2019 - 08:22 AM.

#24 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:40 PM

Hi guys,

according to UPS, I've a "bootlid call". so normally I should have tonight the MK3 carbon fibre Elite bootlid from Arc Angels. fingers crossed ! I'll let you know. 

#25 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:05 PM

Ok so I did receive the mk3 boot lid from Arc Angels.

to summ up the past episode: I originally ordered an fiber glass Elite boot lid from Arc Angels. I did receive it, but it was the wrong mk. you'll find a short review up this thread.

while I sent it back to get an mk3, I thought it was eventually a good idea to upgrade my order to carbon fiber. So the one you will see here below is:

Arc Angel, Mk3 Carbon fiber Elite panel, the carbon fiber is option 1.

for those who are not familiar with Arc angel, check out :

https://www.the-arc-...ategory&path=79

in a nutshell, when you buy carbon fiber parts, very few vendors will tell you what it actually is. Arc Angels gives you the choice. others go straight from the top material with the top price point too. this is also why Carbon Weezel is good too: they have good technique and start with the top of the line fiber method.

so, here I settled with option 1, which is a light upgrade from glass fiber panel.

I did not go for shiny carbon finish. the part is gel coat, because it will be painted. I like it that way. this is how it looks now:

Attached File  IMG_20191008_210850-W600.jpg   21.21K   1 downloads

as with the glass fiber, the finish is really good, with a smooth shiny finish on the exterior and the internal skin. the outer skin does show on the insise as well and you get to see the carbon weave. it's really beautiful.

in terms of weight, what to expect? the parts weights 1.8kg on my scale. it's lighter than glass fiber but not extravagantly lighter. So unless you are chasing the last grams in your build, you won't need to do it for the sake of weight. although it makes a decent Café discussion starter amongst petrol-heads  :proud:

some more details: it is predrilled with everything you need to fit your hardware. 

Attached File  IMG_20191008_210856-W600.jpg   13.02K   1 downloads

the boot lid is very rigid. I was a bit surprised because it's really thin and weight so little but it seems very sturdy and won't flex easily.

you will also find ther captives nuts for your retaining cords. 

Attached File  IMG_20191008_210813-W600.jpg   13.35K   1 downloads

something to keep in mind as well: it is lighter than steel. but it is also thicker. count about 4.5mm thick. which means that I have to check my hinges and see if it will do. it should. 

more pictures to come, but for some reason, it won't upload from my phone, so it'll have to wait for tomorrow.

I'll try a dry assembly this weekend. but so far, I must say I'm quite pleased with the result.

also I read here and there that some manufacturers are better than others at handling customer request. let's get some facts:

I originally placed my order on July 17th.

got my part roughly a month later. considering those parts are almost always made to order, it's long, but not too bad. and during the process, I count about 30 emails exchanges with the guys at Arc. so even if not "amazon fast", people actually show up and take the time to answer your questions and keep you informed. I like that.

Turned out the part was the wrong MK and I sent it sept 10, after some mess with UPS because turns out that if you organize the pick-up in France, and you keep UPS UK informed about your availability, it kind of does not matter. you have to make appointment with the french UPS. so I did. quite late. but good to know. must be some french chic at ups, I guess.  :owned:

placed my upgrade order on september 22, got my part today october 8. so again, not "blazzing fast", but for made to order panels, it's quite good, I would say.

I thought I would disclose those dates to you guys because I alsways read that this and that manufacturers are "slow", or "fast", or "responsive", or "not responsive". at least here you got data to make your own opinion.

if my dry fit is ok this weekend, I'll definitely order again from those guys.

Like I say, I've be the guardian of this car for 13 years, I can wait some days to get good parts  :proud:

#26 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:08 AM

Hi Guys, so as promised please find here below some more pictures of this mk3 Elite Carbon Fiber bootlid from Arc Angels:

here is the inner pannel:

Attached File  IMG_20191008_210750-W600.jpg   60.64K   1 downloads

some more details on how the double skin looks in Gelcoat:

Attached File  IMG_20191008_210759-W600.jpg   46.08K   2 downloads

and finally the place where the locking mechanism will sit.

Attached File  IMG_20191008_210820-W600.jpg   25.07K   1 downloads

overall it looks quite good, I think.

have a good day everyone !

#27 haz

haz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:49 PM

^looking good.

Noticing one of your remarks on the panel thickness I just thought I'd mention the Carbon Weazle panel is OEM thickness, maybe even very slightly thinner. I'm not in the UK at present but when I'm back I'll try to remember to get an comparison pic.

#28 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:06 PM

^looking good.

Noticing one of your remarks on the panel thickness I just thought I'd mention the Carbon Weazle panel is OEM thickness, maybe even very slightly thinner. I'm not in the UK at present but when I'm back I'll try to remember to get an comparison pic.

Carbon Weezle uses an epoxy based compound by default, I think; which is option 3 in Arc Angel, I think. it's overall thinner and lightner. my guess would be if you weight it that it will be around 1.2kg. which again, is completely pointless from street performance standpoint compared to fiberglass, but it is one of those things where you just have to have it. :)

I would think still expect the carbon weezle to be slightly thicker than metal in double skin, because you have still to bound or fold the fiber around the edge of the boot lid. 

#29 markking

markking

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:28 PM

As always Benoit an impeccable write up and super in depth explanation.

My order hasn’t arrived as yet but am confident in the manufacturing and supplier so it’s just a waiting game.

As Benoit said the guys at arc angels are great at responding to enquires and answering any questions/doubts you have.

So far, I would recommend these guys 100%.

#30 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:55 PM

Hi, so i tried the carbon fiber boot lid today. Pictures are still due but some issues with uploading. It fits well. Or at least as good as the Steel version, which is ok.

The carbon is thinner than the fiber Glass so hardware fits well. Only one thing: the boot lid internal door skin has to be drilled to fit the original metal retaining plate for the latch. Not a big work. Pictures for tomorrow ! Cheers guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users