Tallguysmallcar

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:28 AM

Hey, 

Was hoping anyone could help me with this... So I restored a 

MK3 1973 Mini 850 over the past few years. I bought it from its first owner with a true 120K KM (still have the Service and MOT docs); It's been:

Sandblasted, Repainted, New Carb, Alternator recon'd, New Regulator, New Cones, new Dampers, new Tires, New seats, new dash, new carpet, new steering wheel, Electrics checked and rectified where neceessary, plus a few other bits and bobs.

Car is now in great shape, getting compliments wherever I go. I love the car in the state it is in now, built it exactly as I wanted. Zero Rust. Not planning on running the car in the winter months.

The thing is, I am now getting to the point where I am thinking about more power, however, I'd like to keep everything (relatively) true to the period.

So I have now thought about tuning the 850, which i know might could me something around 50HP. I know it might be costly, but I like the idea of keeping the same engine, and going through the exercise of really getting the most out of a little engine (for somewhat nostalgic reasons, conserve value etc.)

However, a 1974 1275 GT just came on sale relatively close to where I live. Bodywork doesn't look great, interior okish. Owner says the true mileage is not known, but pistons and bearings have been replaced and car has since run 15K.

1.)

I'd be interested to see whether I can port the engine/transmission, brake system (got the cooper s discs with servo) to what is now the 850, which I assume is doable? And then start tuning from there. 

2.)

Bear in mind my 850 still got the magic wand - if I convert to the other engine, would that work (assuming cutting welding work needs to be done)

3.)

Is it worth doing the whole engine swap? What about the value of the car since it's not got matching numbers anymore?

4.) Opinions on whether tuned 850 might offer more 'originality' than ported 1275?

5.) Any idea on what would be better costwise? on the 850 I am thinking uprated head, HS4 carb plus stage one? What about the camshaft?

Thanks for your opinions and Ideas, really appreciated.

#2 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:48 AM

It is a "No Brainer".

Keep the 850 as it is and do up the 1275 GT.

#3 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:08 AM

1  Doable

2   Doable but why cut an original good car ?

3    Depends how good a job and possibly worth less

4    Tuning the 850 will be better value for money and good fun the are a revy little motor, usually have an EN16T crank in. With an HS4,  Cooper head and a decent cam they can really go. PM me for a price.

A '74 1275 GT is a good investment, and again should be kept...

#4 Tallguysmallcar

Tallguysmallcar

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:31 AM

1  Doable

2   Doable but why cut an original good car ?

3    Depends how good a job and possibly worth less

4    Tuning the 850 will be better value for money and good fun the are a revy little motor, usually have an EN16T crank in. With an HS4,  Cooper head and a decent cam they can really go. PM me for a price.

A '74 1275 GT is a good investment, and again should be kept...

Thanks, doing up the 850 and buying the 1275 is unfortunately financially not viable right now, albeit very tempting...

Thanks anyhow, I also PMd you.

#5 Tallguysmallcar

Tallguysmallcar

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:33 AM

Might be a stupid question, but what exactly makes the 1275GT a good investment? Is it that rare?

#6 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:06 PM

There are fewer and fewer unmolested 850 Minis.

Many many people put more power under their right foot by installing a bigger engine.

The better way of doing this, from a pureist's point of view, is to bolt a supercharger onto the unmolested engine, which can be easily removed.

A 1275 isn't THAT rare, but all Minis are getting fewer, if only through accidents. so to make yet another bastard of your 850, is an unfortunate move.

Grab the GT.  Keep it dry, work, as money permits, on the body. and in 5/10 years time, you will have the difficult decision "Which car do I drive today"

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 23 August 2019 - 01:44 PM

With any classic car the object is the fun of retro driving.
The 850 is a real classic and represents the original iconic Mini.
To get 50 bhp with an 850 is not easy and although it can he done you end up with a 'cammy' engine.
However, it is relatively easy and not expensive to get between 40 and 45 bhp. Bore to the next size up, buy a really well gas-flowed head, fit a better cam such as a Kent 256, fit an original 998 Cooper exhaust manifold with a matching exhaust system, fit an HS4 carb on a nice alloy manifold and have the distributor re-curved to match the spec of the engine.
It would then go rather well, but still have the unique character of the 850 and retain the value as all the mods are 'period mods'.

#8 Tallguysmallcar

Tallguysmallcar

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 02:48 PM

With any classic car the object is the fun of retro driving.
The 850 is a real classic and represents the original iconic Mini.
To get 50 bhp with an 850 is not easy and although it can he done you end up with a 'cammy' engine.
However, it is relatively easy and not expensive to get between 40 and 45 bhp. Bore to the next size up, buy a really well gas-flowed head, fit a better cam such as a Kent 256, fit an original 998 Cooper exhaust manifold with a matching exhaust system, fit an HS4 carb on a nice alloy manifold and have the distributor re-curved to match the spec of the engine.
It would then go rather well, but still have the unique character of the 850 and retain the value as all the mods are 'period mods'.

Period mods would be exactly what I am after - which is why I asked the question in the first place. And I am sure y'all understand the temptation of a bigger engine. I need to see what the mods on the 850 would come to coastwise, and then I'll see. Getting the GT and keeping it is tempting too, considering I have a dry place to keep it.
Now for the tricky part: how to tell the wife?

Edited by Tallguysmallcar, 23 August 2019 - 02:52 PM.

#9 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:17 PM

Make the GT, one of several of your wife's birthday or Christmas presents ?

#10 Tallguysmallcar

Tallguysmallcar

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 04:11 PM

Make the GT, one of several of your wife's birthday or Christmas presents ?

Car in itself is essentially not a problem, it's the time I'll spend in the garage...

#11 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:37 PM

Your wife is so lucky, many other guys spend their time in the pub :proud:

Edited by Rorf, 23 August 2019 - 05:38 PM.

#12 Tallguysmallcar

Tallguysmallcar

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:39 PM

Your wife is so lucky, many other guys spend their time in the pub :proud:

Beer is cheaper in the garage, and the music usually better...

#13 Tallguysmallcar

Tallguysmallcar

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:59 PM

So thought all weekend about this situation, and will try and see what could be done with a stage 1 kit. However all performance inlet manifolds seem to be made for hs4 carbs, and having done a bit of research, a bigger carb is not going to be necessary (just serviced and rebuilt the HS2)
So, any way to fit an HS2 to a torque master inlet? Has been discussed elsewhere, but the only part I could find is only stocked in Australia... C-AHT770ADAPT

Any suggestions?

#14 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:21 PM

An HS4 will work well on a mildly modified 850. In fact on the Mini Automatics they used to fit a 1.5" SU. They are not expensive to buy used and are easy to recondition as necessary. With a better flowing head, a Cooper exhaust manifold and exhaust system, and a few other minor improvements it would go very well.

#15 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 06:38 AM

Put the 1275 in and keep the 850 under the bench to be reunited with the car should you ever come to sell it.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users