20 replies to this topic

#1 Angryelf

Angryelf

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 01:23 PM

I am looking to find out if GPS speedometer's are legal in the UK, i have looked online but there does not seem to be a definitive answer.

#2 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 23 August 2019 - 01:36 PM

I was told, 4/5 years ago, that at that date there was no specific rule,  but if a speedometer is fitted as part of the original equipment (tractors & Quad bikes for instance, weren't ), the speedometer or its replacement, had to be accurate at 30 MPH, or within 10% at other speeds.

As the radius of tyres is not a constant. a GPS is probably the most accurate speedometer available.

#3 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:40 PM

I was told, 4/5 years ago, that at that date there was no specific rule,  but if a speedometer is fitted as part of the original equipment (tractors & Quad bikes for instance, weren't ), the speedometer or its replacement, had to be accurate at 30 MPH, or within 10% at other speeds.

As the radius of tyres is not a constant. a GPS is probably the most accurate speedometer available.

Ive thought about this, but does GPS take into account gradients. Since driving up/down a hill would effectivly be a longer distance than driving in a flat plane as seen from above. Therefore a speed seen by an observer above would be slower than actuall speed at the tyres. 

#4 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:47 PM

Ive thought about this, but does GPS take into account gradients. Since driving up/down a hill would effectivly be a longer distance than driving in a flat plane as seen from above. Therefore a speed seen by an observer above would be slower than actuall speed at the tyres. 

That is why the Gps is always in touch with at least 3 satellites, because if there are 3 or more in contact, the altitude can be calculated, which means that the position of the speedometer is known in 3 dimensions.

#5 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:34 PM

Fist off I'm no expert in these things, but the only problem I can see is that a speedo has to run 10% fast for an IVA test so I presume all Speedos have to run fast, no doubt some techy will know how to do it.

Shooter

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,901 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:15 PM

There are some dual driven speedos available that work on both GPS and also a take off from the vehicle. I think most of these default to the GPS, but if that's not available, say, around tall buildings, tunnels, trees etc, then if falls back on the vehicle take off.

I'd doubt they are legal for some of the reasons I've touched on, in that they can drop out and they can be slow to up date too in some conditions, ie, heavy cloud.

Also, I'm not up to speed with UK Laws, but as there's no Odometer, just on that basis alone, they are not legal here. Perhaps, if other wise legal, a separate Odometer can be fitted?

#7 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 24 August 2019 - 04:10 AM

I believe they do have odometers, I have a friend with one in his Moke, I'll ask him.....

Edit: My friend says his Smith's GPS speedo does in fact have an odometer.

Edited by Magneto, 24 August 2019 - 04:49 AM.

#8 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:16 AM

I wish somebody made a 4"/100mm GPS speedometer to replace the Smiths and which match their rev counter;  the largest seems to be 80mm.

Edited by DeadSquare, 28 August 2019 - 06:23 AM.

#9 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 24 August 2019 - 04:55 PM

Did you check here?

https://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/

#10 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Local Club: Not MINI friendly

Posted 24 August 2019 - 09:35 PM

I'm 99.999% sure the last time I read the IVA/SVA test requirements the answer was no. You can get an adapter for the Speedo drive for a digital dash or add a wheel speed sensor at the rear.

#11 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:01 AM

Yep, essentially the speedo has to be working all the time, as it would with a cable, with the GPS ones, you can loose GPS lock, or it can take a time to get location on start up. Also there's the tunnel issue.

#12 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:46 AM

As the engine is in the back of my Mini derivative, the speedo drive doesn't like negotiating two 180 degree bends.

I believe that Halda used to make a device, which somehow took the drive from the front wheel of a rear wheel drive, because this overcame the problem of wheel spin in slippery conditions.

#13 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,901 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 25 August 2019 - 05:40 PM

As the engine is in the back of my Mini derivative, the speedo drive doesn't like negotiating two 180 degree bends.

I believe that Halda used to make a device, which somehow took the drive from the front wheel of a rear wheel drive, because this overcame the problem of wheel spin in slippery conditions.

Find an electronic one, that uses a Hall Effect pick up on the gearbox. They really super easy to install and wire up (even I can do it), easy to calibrate, (many have a self calibration facility now) and easy to re-calibrate with wheel and find drive changes too. Having run with a few of these now, I'd never go back to a Cable Driven Speedo.

#14 Richie83

Richie83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:20 AM

I wish somebody made a 4"/100mm GPS speedometer to replace the Smiths and match their rev counter; they're largest seems to be 80mm.

smiths do make one via Cai Gauges/GPS speedos. I’ve got one in my pickup.

#15 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 08:51 AM

I wish somebody made a 4"/100mm GPS speedometer to replace the Smiths and match their rev counter; they're largest seems to be 80mm.

smiths do make one via Cai Gauges/GPS speedos. I’ve got one in my pickup.

Thank you.

I wonder why these haven't shown up in my searches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users