Carvell

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:27 PM

Hello,
Has anyone got protech shocks?
What settings are you on front and back (how many clicks)
Thanks

#2 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:33 PM

I've got them on mine and have been playing with them a bit today, soft is anti-clockwise, harder clockwise. I had them set on 4  from soft all round and found that was good but maybe on the soft side. 6 was too hard for me so am trying 5 at the minute but am trying to sort other handling issues at the moment >_<

#3 Carvell

Carvell

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:36 PM

I’ve got a bit of scrubbing, so need to raise the car but in the meantime was going to stiffen them up. I’ll see what number I’m on. Thanks

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,485 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:39 PM

Much better than Gaz, yes protech's are more expensive but worth the extra money

#5 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:41 PM

I’ve got a bit of scrubbing, so need to raise the car but in the meantime was going to stiffen them up. I’ll see what number I’m on. Thanks

Oh yeah I get a bit of scrubbing on the rear, I'm running archless and about 45mm gap between the tyre and arch on 4 clicks

#6 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 06:41 AM

Oh yeah I get a bit of scrubbing on the rear, I'm running archless and about 45mm gap between the tyre and arch on 4 clicks

how do you stop yourself from running on the bump stops? This isnt protech related but im close to riding on my bumps...like 3-5mm between arm and top bump :/

#7 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 27 August 2019 - 11:08 PM

I ran mine on 4 and 5 too....

#8 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,883 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:46 AM

4 on the front, 6 on the rear. Handles like it's on rails.

#9 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 11:25 AM

why are you running harder in the rear? doesnt that make the car bounce?

#10 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 11:37 AM

Nope. It increases grip at the front of the car and has made it extremely predictable through corners. I went as far as 8 at the rears but was getting slight oversteer. I've found what works for my car ?

Edited by Steve220, 28 August 2019 - 11:37 AM.

#11 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:18 PM

Nope. It increases grip at the front of the car and has made it extremely predictable through corners. I went as far as 8 at the rears but was getting slight oversteer. I've found what works for my car

ah ok thats really interesting. Im using GAZ on mine and have the rear at 3 and front at 6 I believe. I found once the rear was the same setting as the fronts the car would bounce on every opportunity it could causing proper headache-like experiences. Now with the rear softer it feels really smooth.... Ill have to try it the other way round like you!

#12 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 04:03 PM

Mine took many miles of throwing it through the country A and B roads to finally get a setting that worked for me and the car. The trip down to IMM through Wales really clarified I'd gone with the right settings ?

#13 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,748 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 28 August 2019 - 05:08 PM

how do you stop yourself from running on the bump stops? This isnt protech related but im close to riding on my bumps...like 3-5mm between arm and top bump :/

A glimpse of the obvious, you are trying to run a circuit race setting with the bump stop that close to the top arm.

On something as level and as predictable as a race track where there are higher lateral G forces than the open road, getting the C of G lower can be beneficial, but at the expense of the suspension not doing much work.

The suspension travel on a Mini is made to be soft enough to soak up imperfections in the road, but to stiffen under roll in corners, and you would probably be very surprised at how high the front of some Scandinavian rally driver's cars used to be.   By making full use of the suspension travel, they got better grip by using the G force to make the tyre dig in.

If you nudge a 4 long foot plank along the ground with you foot, it probably slides, but if you pick it up at shoulder height and push it, it digs in.

Most of the corners on the open road are not suitable for race suspension settings, and once you are on the bump stop, there is only the give in the sidewall of the tyre to stop the car pattering off, like a stone bouncing on water.

#14 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 08:12 AM

Only just got the car back on the ground to see what gap, I've got bout 15mm between mine, not sure how though

#15 Carvell

Carvell

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 06:35 PM

My adjustment wheel (back drivers wheel) is on the rear of the shock/ I assume 6 clicks is six clockwise?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users