#1 FDW

FDW

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 06:19 PM

Well then,

My Mini has a fine dusting of bodily rust, none of it too invasive or serious at current. In the uncertain future I've plans obviously to strip it down and get it all fixed and resprayed. I've got myself some primer and paint stuffs to look like I made an effort but I'm looking for some advice on how to prepare and treat the surface underneath beforehand. I'm not looking to fix the rust only to seal and prevent any more rust occurring for as long as I can, bearing in mind it will be used during the winter months on occasions. Some of it is visible on the bodywork and some I'll need to get in the wheel arches and door hinges. I was told waxoyl but I'm having second thoughts. Any help would be greatly appreciated to try and save me and any unsightly holes that may arise. 

Thanks everyone, Fin

#2 Jamdog

Jamdog

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Local Club: 998

Posted 28 August 2019 - 07:25 PM

You need to do the job properly really, otherwise the rust will come back. Try to wire brush as much as possible off, then treat with a chemical rust converter (hammerite kurust is quite good).

Its definitely worth undersealing with something like waxoyl, although bilt hamber UB is the best stuff around. Then spray Bilt hamber dynax s50 into any crevices. 

But bear in mind that a bodyshop would much prefer you left any painted surfaces alone and let them deal with it, they don't like digging through someone elses bodging, so you may be facing a greater bill later down the line

#3 johnyj

johnyj

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:25 PM

Any pictures?

#4 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 08:33 AM

KURUST is pants, forget it, it is useless.

bilt hamber DEOX is the stuff to use. It REMOVES the rust. 

#5 Squipper

Squipper

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 10:41 PM

Hi

Have a look at this link, I found this stuff and there is a Youtube video about it. It looks amazing and easy to apply.

https://www.frost.co...-encapsulators/

Fluf

#6 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 01:02 PM

Same rubbish as KURUST.

You can not stop rust by covering it up.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rust repair

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users