#1 Aus

Aus

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Local Club: MiniClubJersey

Posted 29 August 2019 - 08:37 AM

I've done a bit of searching but not really turned anything up. I've seen a few pics of rally Minis with 13 inch Minator wheels under standard "special" arches and a couple of road cars. The 5.5x13 which is the narrowest I'd want to put 175/50s on and are ET25. None of the pics I've seen show clearly whether these actually properly fit under the standard arch or if there is some poke. Also I would suspect that they'd catch the front of the arch on turning so are the standard arches hollowed out inside at the front and the curve on the wing cut slightly to clear ? I'd really like some fitment info as I do like the look of the Minators and standard arch and I'd hope on a huge forum like this someone has done this combination. Can any one help ? Also if you have done it then pics of the fitmant and any poke would be really appreciated.
Cheers :)

Edited by Aus, 29 August 2019 - 08:39 AM.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 29 August 2019 - 10:34 AM

cutting the wings all depends on your build. ride height being the major factor

use willtheyfit.com to compare rime position to a standard wheel.

#3 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 11:24 AM

I've done a bit of searching but not really turned anything up. I've seen a few pics of rally Minis with 13 inch Minator wheels under standard "special" arches and a couple of road cars. The 5.5x13 which is the narrowest I'd want to put 175/50s on and are ET25. None of the pics I've seen show clearly whether these actually properly fit under the standard arch or if there is some poke. Also I would suspect that they'd catch the front of the arch on turning so are the standard arches hollowed out inside at the front and the curve on the wing cut slightly to clear ? I'd really like some fitment info as I do like the look of the Minators and standard arch and I'd hope on a huge forum like this someone has done this combination. Can any one help ? Also if you have done it then pics of the fitmant and any poke would be really appreciated.
Cheers :)

Allright, so for what I can say: I bought a mini with 13'' Sportpack wheels (6x13). it was not the original mount. My car does not have hi-lo and standard rubber cones. he had to cut the arches so the top of the tyre does not touch the wing.

I wish I had done it myself because the previous owner did a terrible cutting job there, it's really not nice. but it was 13y ago and I did not know much.

so my guess is that you will have to cut the wings.

#4 Aus

Aus

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Local Club: MiniClubJersey

Posted 29 August 2019 - 02:28 PM

Isn't it typical that once I ask the question I pretty much find the answer the next Google I try !!

I found these pics on a for sale post on cars-from-the-uk (one of those great places that have 1963 MPis for sale lol). These are the best pics I've seen. I'm not sure about cutting the arch, can't quite see the detail but the arch fitment looks original. The rears seem to fit ok, the front seem like they might have a tiny bit of poke, that being said the tyres he's got fitted have rounded shoulders that always help with tread coverage as does a bit of negative camber

Attached Files

Edited by Aus, 29 August 2019 - 02:32 PM.

#5 Petrol

Petrol

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 09:14 PM

I have Minator 5X10's with 165 tyres and Mini special arches. If I ran it that low at the back the tyres would rub the arches. As far as the front goes, you really need to cut the arches to stop 13's fouling but that's not going to be easy with special arches. You will also need to fit steering lock limiters or use an MPi rack. It all looks good but I don't think special arches and 13's will work with a car that low.

#6 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 06:37 AM

Exactly what Petrol says above. The standard "special" arch extensions don't lend themselves to being easily cut due to the return on the underside, it'd need a lot of work to create anything half decent. In truth you'd be better with 12" or even 10" wheels (which bring other benefits as well) or if determined to use 13" wheels fit Sportspack arches with the wings trimmed accordingly.

#7 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 02:00 PM

Exactly what Petrol says above. The standard "special" arch extensions don't lend themselves to being easily cut due to the return on the underside, it'd need a lot of work to create anything half decent. In truth you'd be better with 12" or even 10" wheels (which bring other benefits as well) or if determined to use 13" wheels fit Sportspack arches with the wings trimmed accordingly.

Agreed! Yes, indeed, that's what I would do as well, if you are sure to move to 13''. 

strictly speaking of bodywork, from 10 to 12'', you can always come back (course, you need the disks fitted, etc., but body does not need to be trimmed). 13'', there is not much comming back without serious body work. 

that said, I have seen somewhere once 10'' with sportpack arches with some seriously fat tires. it actually did look really cool. but I can't find it back, and I have no idea what those tirers were. it was really much fatter than any yoko I have seen. if someone has a clue, I'm interested. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users