10 replies to this topic

#1 Cool Cooper S

Cool Cooper S

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 08:45 PM

Good evening, I am looking to upgrade my 1980's Austin Mini for one that I can use to compete in Historic Rally Car Register events.  https://www.hrcr.co.uk  I have seen a car on eBay and wonder if this would be suitable.

https://www.ebay.co....ar/333307566002

Your thoughts on the suitability of this car for historic events would be greatly appreciated.

Cooper.

#2 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 31 August 2019 - 10:44 PM

It looks quite nicely done.

A few observations:

The fresh air intake tube running through the engine bay is not a good idea. For many historic events that tube must be removed and the bulkhead blanked off to prevent asphyxiation in the event of an engine bay fire or exhaust leak.

The seats and belts are not suitable for special stage events.

The final drive ratio of 3.44:1 is a bit too high for a SC CR gearbox with a 285 cam. On my historic rally cars I always use a 3.9:1 on a 1275, or 4.1:1 on a 970 or a 1071 engine. It is 'off the line' acceleration you want with a rally car and a 3.44 means a lot of clutch slipping to get away quickly.

Personally I don't like the fuel pumps inside the boot for safety reasons, but that is just me I guess. The idea of twin tanks holding up to 11 gallons with a pair of pumps alongside them and wired with 12 volt electrics may not be ideal. I mount my twin Facit pumps under the rear seat base panel with an undertray and have a centre exit exhaust, which is better than a side exhaust for rallying.

Edited by Cooperman, 31 August 2019 - 10:44 PM.

#3 Cool Cooper S

Cool Cooper S

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 07:26 PM

Thank you very much for taking time to reply. Thankfully that doesn't sound like too much work to do to get it just right.

Regards, Cooper.

#4 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 02 September 2019 - 01:51 PM

Have you asked the guy what events it has competed in and where it finished?

It's one thing saying your car is rally prepared, but it's quite another to say it's been to xyz events, passed scrutineering and put down a time.

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 03:43 PM

Well said. It is one thing to claim a car is a rally car, but it's performance can only be confirmed by actual results.
For example, my 1964 Cooper S has competed in 32 historic rallies andhas won 5 outright. It has finished in the top 5 on another 16, crashed (rolled) on one, retired twice due to serious navigational errors, retired one due to navigator sickness finished in the top 10 on three events, retired whilst leading its class on an international historic in Belgium when a front wheel came off (!), and retired with transmission failure on 3 events, one with a failed transfer gear whilst leading overall.
That is the sort of information you need.

#6 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 02 September 2019 - 07:11 PM

Well said. It is one thing to claim a car is a rally car, but it's performance can only be confirmed by actual results.
For example, my 1964 Cooper S has competed in 32 historic rallies andhas won 5 outright. It has finished in the top 5 on another 16, crashed (rolled) on one, retired twice due to serious navigational errors, retired one due to navigator sickness finished in the top 10 on three events, retired whilst leading its class on an international historic in Belgium when a front wheel came off (!), and retired with transmission failure on 3 events, one with a failed transfer gear whilst leading overall.

Huh.   No chance of you being able to advertise that in Autosport as "Never Raced or Rallyed"   Lol.

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 10:36 PM

Huh.   No chance of you being able to advertise that in Autosport as "Never Raced or Rallyed"   Lol.

One careful owner!!!

#8 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 10:46 PM

One careful owner!!!

"Crashed (rolled) on one...................a front wheel came off"

Careful owner !!!  are you a politician ?

#9 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 10:50 PM

I didn't say I was the careful owner. I think it might well have had a careful owner well before I bought it in 1990  ;D .

#10 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 10:55 PM

I didn't say I was the careful owner. I think it might well have had a careful owner well before I bought it in 1990  ;D .

Ah, so ONE is a typo.  It should have been ONCE, there was a careful owner.

#11 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 04 September 2019 - 03:47 PM

It's the rare opposite.

Been extensively raced and rallyed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users