#1 Aus

Aus

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Local Club: MiniClubJersey

Posted 01 September 2019 - 03:16 PM

I know a few have done 1380 SPi engines using the Rover TB but has anyone done bigger ? I know you can modify the Mini TB to 1 3/4" or use the ultra rare 820 TB and the Metro 16v ECU and injector can be used to increase fuel and air flow but would a torque monster stroker motor (1430 or 1460) be feasible ? If the Rover ECUs couldn't supply enough fuel would the SC ECU work with the 16v injector to fuel it or would the whole Rover TB not be man enough ? This isn't about cost against return as I know you could get more with using a carb or the full SC 5 port set up but more about fully exploring the limitations of using OEM TB set up.

#2 Aus

Aus

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Local Club: MiniClubJersey

Posted 01 September 2019 - 03:22 PM

Just to clarify I'm not so much thinking about max power here I'm talking about using the extra capacity to boost the mid range torque as the main goal, the Rover ECU having a rev limit just under 7K so that in itself will act as a max power limiter. It's more a case of whether the fuelling can be kept in safe parameters all through that rev range whilst flowing the air from a long stroke motor

Edited by Aus, 01 September 2019 - 03:23 PM.

#3 Wazzah

Wazzah

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:13 PM

The best thing about the Rover ECU is the extra mapping afforded by the MAP sensor. Ive tried a full SC ECU/ 45mm throttle body set and whilst I can get awesome acceleration you lose a ship load of drivability. Relying on Temps, RPM and throttle position only you just cant cater/ calibrate for all on road situations. Ive just gone back to factory set up with an SC Super Sport head, 1.5 rockers and LCB and the car is so much more enjoyable to drive. Ive tried the next injector size up from standard but probably need a better camshaft and larger engine capacity to exploit the extra fuel. I'm still at standard 1275. In my experience there is a very fine line between running rich and lean backfiring on A + engines. I tried a wideband lambda sensor to get fuelling under control but even at idle there were huge + and - lambda corrections. I think it is a combination of the port robbing and wet manifold that causes problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users