3 replies to this topic

#1 travellering

travellering

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 06:41 PM

On my 1966 Moke, I am chasing a chuffing noise under load and under braking. I noticed that the driveshaft is wobbling out of center as it spins, about an eighth of an inch. Thinking it was a damaged QL5000 letting the inner end wobble, I replaced it with a new one, only to see exactly the same runout. I just put a dial indicator on the inner driver where it exits the diff and I am seeing the same amount of motion there. I know it's only a rough casting and I wouldn't expect to see it run perfectly true, but has anyone else seen this level of wobble straight out of the diff?

#2 Moke Spider

Moke Spider

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,128 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 01 September 2019 - 07:38 PM

Wow - something's skewif !

No, there shouldn't be any wobble there.

It may well be just worn bushes in the diff cage, crown wheel and side covers.

#3 travellering

travellering

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 09:13 PM

Smeg. I was hoping for something that might not involve dismantling the diff. Have a (lots of driving) event coming up in three weeks and almost no weekday hours to work on it.

#4 viz139

viz139

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 02 September 2019 - 04:27 PM

Not quite just a rough housing, the output shaft runs in a bush in the end cover. If it is just the bush its just a matter of removing the end cover and replacing the bush in the car. If the diff bearing behind that is also gone than its an engine out job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares