#1 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 08:00 PM

Hi,

So i'm in the process of fitting aluminium Door skins. And i ask myself some questions. Although quite close in activity, steel and aluminium put together have a risk to corode galvanically.

So just in case, I intended to paint the inner of the skin. But then I'm wondering. I am supposed to epoxy bond the skon at least in some place, top of the door skin for instance. But i am not quite sure Epoxy will work well on paint.

But then if I remove paint, will the époxy layer be enough to avoid galvanic corrosion ? Plus I'm not a fan of leaving uncoated steel there.

Any advice from guys who have done it ?

Cheers!

Edited by Benoit_Dupont, 01 September 2019 - 08:01 PM.

#2 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 09:01 PM

Paint the inside of the skin and the door frame and fold the lip over as you would any other door skin.

You can rivet the top of the skin to the window frame where there would normally be a spot weld on a steel skin.

#3 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 04:10 AM

Paint the inside of the skin and the door frame and fold the lip over as you would any other door skin.

You can rivet the top of the skin to the window frame where there would normally be a spot weld on a steel skin.

I thought about that but:
-will it not pinch the foam in which the window is suppose to slide up? The rivet ball is surely taking some place.
-on the top part, the skin comes flat on the door frame on the hinge face and on the lock face. Actualy the Steel skin is cord welded there. Should I not époxy there either?

Edited by Benoit_Dupont, 02 September 2019 - 04:10 AM.

#4 geachy87

geachy87

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:00 AM

I just bonded my aluminium skins on with tiger seal, I think that’s what most people do

#5 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 11:23 AM

I just bonded my aluminium skins on with tiger seal, I think that’s what most people do

Thanks ! With or without paint?

#6 locky7101

locky7101

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 11:37 AM

If you can, get the steel Zinc plated. Puts a barrier between the two on top of the seal and is one of the methods modern cars do to avoid galvanic corrosion.

#7 geachy87

geachy87

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 12:22 PM

Thanks ! With or without paint?

I painted the inside of the door frame first then put tiger seal on

#8 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 01:45 PM

thank you ! I don't know Tiger Seal, isn't that too soft of a material ? Like silicon  ?

Cheers!

#9 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 02:04 PM

thank you ! I don't know Tiger Seal, isn't that too soft of a material ? Like silicon  ?

Cheers!

It's a PU bonding adhesive, the type that would typically be used to bond in a modern car windscreen. An alternative is Sikaflex 221.

#10 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 25 September 2019 - 10:31 AM

The reason for fitting aluminium door skins is for competition. Competition cars are not expected to have a long life so the corrosion is not seen as an issue.
Minimise the corrosion by only bonding in a few locations after painting. So long as the aluminium skin is well clinched into position using Tiger Seal or equivalent there will be no problems in the short or medium term

#11 hunterg30

hunterg30

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 02:44 PM

Land Rover Discovery's had bonded aluminium panels , use the adhesive's mentioned above or see if you can find out what Land Rover used

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users