#1 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local Club: Loan wolf

Posted 04 September 2019 - 02:19 PM

Is there a set up that fits under a round nose?

#2 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 04 September 2019 - 04:53 PM

I doubt it.  There was no room for much more than a piece of gauze mesh instead of air filters, with chopped up Amals on an Alexander 7 port cross flow.

#3 Orange-Phantom

Orange-Phantom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 05:05 PM

Yes you can.  I've got the AKM 7 port (Minisport bought the rights to the AKM head so essentially it is the same).

I have twin 38DCOE's and an ITG air filter on the front and it all fits under the bonnet and mine is a round nose.

#4 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 06:16 PM

Yes you can.  I've got the AKM 7 port (Minisport bought the rights to the AKM head so essentially it is the same).

I have twin 38DCOE's and an ITG air filter on the front and it all fits under the bonnet and mine is a round nose.

Sounds good. How come 38's and not 40's? does it run well?

#5 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 04 September 2019 - 07:48 PM

not without bonnet mods in the end I went for the ABS bonnet

#6 Orange-Phantom

Orange-Phantom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 07:53 PM

No bonnet mods required for my setup.

The carbs came with the car.  They are off a Ferrari 365 GTC/4.  It's the MiniWorld Project 45 Mini.  It runs very well now that the Engine and Gearbox (and the rest of the car have been rebuilt). 

The 7 port head is good at giving you a flatter torque curve which will allow you to run a wilder cam on the road by essentially taming the lower end out.  I run a SW10 and find it very drivable.  The torque curve from the last dyno run I did was surprisingly flat.  I still need to tweak the carbs a bit more and going to put a fuel pressure regulator in line which will be set at 3.5psi as the fuel pump is supplying too much pressure.

I've just nearly finished redoing the electrics.  I've built a new dashboard and pardon the pun was shocked by the state of the wiring.  A total fire hazard and a total joke to say the least.  The way the whole car was put together was a joke hence why I've had to rebuild/redo it all!

What's the thinking about going down the 7 port route?

#7 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 07:37 AM

No bonnet mods required for my setup.

The carbs came with the car.  They are off a Ferrari 365 GTC/4.  It's the MiniWorld Project 45 Mini.  It runs very well now that the Engine and Gearbox (and the rest of the car have been rebuilt). 

The 7 port head is good at giving you a flatter torque curve which will allow you to run a wilder cam on the road by essentially taming the lower end out.  I run a SW10 and find it very drivable.  The torque curve from the last dyno run I did was surprisingly flat.  I still need to tweak the carbs a bit more and going to put a fuel pressure regulator in line which will be set at 3.5psi as the fuel pump is supplying too much pressure.

I've just nearly finished redoing the electrics.  I've built a new dashboard and pardon the pun was shocked by the state of the wiring.  A total fire hazard and a total joke to say the least.  The way the whole car was put together was a joke hence why I've had to rebuild/redo it all!

What's the thinking about going down the 7 port route?

yep, thinking 7 port for my next project. I like the sound of 150hp on a NA motor that's driveable.

Are 38's shorter?

Edited by HUBBA.HUBBA, 05 September 2019 - 07:41 AM.

#8 Orange-Phantom

Orange-Phantom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:15 AM

The 38's are basically the same as a 40 but the barrel is 38mm as opposed to 40mm.  The carb itself is the same size.  I think it was more for pub points when they built the car.

You'll have to still run a fairly wild cam to get 150bhp out of 7 port.  I went for the Swiftune SW10 as it is still perfectly drivable lower down but it still has the great top end too.  My brother who runs a Kent 296SP cam with a Weber 45 on a highly tuned 5 port (hillclimber) is putting out more power than me, but his car is built for a purpose and boy is it grumpy low down.  Goes like stink though!

#9 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 06:22 PM

What's the cc and spec of yours

#10 Orange-Phantom

Orange-Phantom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:31 AM

Here ya go.

1380cc . AKM ‘works-spec’ 7-port cast-iron cylinder head, built-in inlet manifold, original Italian made twin Weber 38DCOE.  Custom made aluminium stub stacks. Custom made ITG air filter. 36mm inlet valves, 31mm exhaust valves.  Custom made Vickers-spec JE forged pistons, JE Pro-Seal piston rings. Swiftune SW-10 camshaft, Swiftune Race Double Valve Springs, Kent CF95 Cam Followers, Duplex vernier timing gear, Iwis Duplex Timing Chain. Swiftune Competition Oil Pump. Jack Knight Developments 1.5:1 roller rockers, DKE billet crank, KAD Viscous Crank Damper. Arrow billet A+ rods. ARP bolts. Vickers Miglia-spec steel main caps.  Vickers throttle linkage. Miglia-spec engine breather system with Evacusump. Mini Spares super water pump. Radtec alloy radiator . Facet silver top fuel pump . Rover electric cooling fan, standard plastic mechanical fan. Mini Spares pre-pump glass filter. Aldon distributor, Aldon Ignitor electronic ignition kit in distributor, Aldon Amethyst Mappable Ignition Module with TPS sensor, Aldon Flame Thrower non-ballast coil. 10mm NGK PMR7A spark plugs, 8mm Magnecor silicone leads . Vickers-spec Maniflow exhaust manifold. Titanium exhaust wrap . Maniflow custom mild-steel link pipe . Mini Delta polished stainless steel system, rear side exit, twin-box . Titanium exhaust blanket on centre silencer. HEL 7-row performance motorcycle oil cooler with aeroquip hoses and connectors. DSN Classics Blue Anodised Retrosport Engine Steady Bar and additional Steady System with thermostat housing. 82 degree Thermostat.

Original Jack Knight Developments 6-speed dog engagement manual gearbox, straight-cut 1:1 roller bearing drop gears, centre oil pick-up pipe, two rose-jointed KAD rear gearbox steadies, one uprated Rover forward gearbox steady . JKD steel driveshafts . Mini Spares orange diaphragm, ultralight steel flywheel. Jack Knight cross-pin differential, Swiftune 3.7:1 final drive crown wheel and pinion.

#11 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 12:39 PM

Here ya go.

1380cc . AKM ‘works-spec’ 7-port cast-iron cylinder head, built-in inlet manifold, original Italian made twin Weber 38DCOE.  Custom made aluminium stub stacks. Custom made ITG air filter. 36mm inlet valves, 31mm exhaust valves.  Custom made Vickers-spec JE forged pistons, JE Pro-Seal piston rings. Swiftune SW-10 camshaft, Swiftune Race Double Valve Springs, Kent CF95 Cam Followers, Duplex vernier timing gear, Iwis Duplex Timing Chain. Swiftune Competition Oil Pump. Jack Knight Developments 1.5:1 roller rockers, DKE billet crank, KAD Viscous Crank Damper. Arrow billet A+ rods. ARP bolts. Vickers Miglia-spec steel main caps.  Vickers throttle linkage. Miglia-spec engine breather system with Evacusump. Mini Spares super water pump. Radtec alloy radiator . Facet silver top fuel pump . Rover electric cooling fan, standard plastic mechanical fan. Mini Spares pre-pump glass filter. Aldon distributor, Aldon Ignitor electronic ignition kit in distributor, Aldon Amethyst Mappable Ignition Module with TPS sensor, Aldon Flame Thrower non-ballast coil. 10mm NGK PMR7A spark plugs, 8mm Magnecor silicone leads . Vickers-spec Maniflow exhaust manifold. Titanium exhaust wrap . Maniflow custom mild-steel link pipe . Mini Delta polished stainless steel system, rear side exit, twin-box . Titanium exhaust blanket on centre silencer. HEL 7-row performance motorcycle oil cooler with aeroquip hoses and connectors. DSN Classics Blue Anodised Retrosport Engine Steady Bar and additional Steady System with thermostat housing. 82 degree Thermostat.

Original Jack Knight Developments 6-speed dog engagement manual gearbox, straight-cut 1:1 roller bearing drop gears, centre oil pick-up pipe, two rose-jointed KAD rear gearbox steadies, one uprated Rover forward gearbox steady . JKD steel driveshafts . Mini Spares orange diaphragm, ultralight steel flywheel. Jack Knight cross-pin differential, Swiftune 3.7:1 final drive crown wheel and pinion.

WOW. Is that all  ;D !

#12 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 08 September 2019 - 12:43 PM

So, what is the spec for your competition car ?

#13 Orange-Phantom

Orange-Phantom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:34 PM

So, what is the spec for your competition car ?

It's my brother's, I don't have the exact spec it's a Coopers S, it's running a Weber 45, large valve head, it's been bored out, omega pistons, 1.5 roller rockers Kent 298SP Cam, (the very same cam that Keith Calver can't get running properly https://www.calverst...-pros-and-cons/) non noisy MED straight cut drop gears (yes they do exist), Swiftune straight cut gears, Quaife ATB, Aldon Red dizzy.

This is how it goes..

All work to the car including the engine and gearbox build was done by my brother and this is without any setup on a rolling road (as we've only just got a rolling road over here).

#14 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:37 AM

wow - that's got some go !!

that looked like a lot of fun.  not much margin for error on those roads though..

#15 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:25 PM

Holy Crap, that looks quick.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users