5 replies to this topic

#1 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 04:55 PM

Just starting to reassemble a 3 synchro B type box and a section of the cone surface dropped off 2nd gear.

Is this a hardened surface that has just disintegrated?

To me the gear is u/s. Am I right?

The other problem I'm having is trying to depress both plungers to allow the locking ring to drop and locate on the semi circular thrusts. There are no helpful holes in the cone to poke the plungers down.

Better check the other gear cones now.

Attached Files

#2 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 05 September 2019 - 05:57 PM

I'm sorry, but for the time being, that is scrap.

In say, 100 years time, when spares are short, it could be gently used or resurfaced.

Edited by DeadSquare, 05 September 2019 - 05:58 PM.

#3 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 06:16 PM

I'm sorry, but for the time being, that is scrap.

In say, 100 years time, when spares are short, it could be gently used or resurfaced.

Lovely answer, thanks.

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,934 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 05 September 2019 - 06:29 PM

That one has had it. I'm pretty replacements aren't hard to find, though you can have it recoated, that's a Molly finish. There's a few firms about who do this and it's not that expensive.

If the retaining collar has been put on the right way in the first place, you should be able to get some small tools in under the scallops in the under side of it to depress the plungers. If it hasn't been assembled the right way, you also need to hold you tongue in the right position ! Doable, but will need to be cursed a few times along the way !

#5 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 06:35 PM

That one has had it. I'm pretty replacements aren't hard to find, though you can have it recoated, that's a Molly finish. There's a few firms about who do this and it's not that expensive.

If the retaining collar has been put on the right way in the first place, you should be able to get some small tools in under the scallops in the under side of it to depress the plungers. If it hasn't been assembled the right way, you also need to hold you tongue in the right position ! Doable, but will need to be cursed a few times along the way !

Already done the cursing when the moly flake dropped off. Been using a pick and small screwdriver for the plungers. Think I'll have a go with the jewellers' screwdrivers tomorrow and perservere. Going to have to check the other gears as well before I proceed. Not done type B before. Think the one I did in the 60's must have been a type A; that seemed to be easier when I fitted straight cuts into it. That was one I had to grind out the case to fit a 1275 on top.

Edited by whistler, 05 September 2019 - 06:36 PM.

#6 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 05 September 2019 - 06:53 PM

Why Oh why do people curse things, when they go wrong ?

Quite obviously, it would be far better to bless them before you start.

Edited by DeadSquare, 05 September 2019 - 06:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users