#1 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 05 September 2019 - 07:37 PM

Right guys I am thinking of adding a Tig welder.
I have a mig so that side is covered but I would not be adverse to a combo unit. I have never used a Tig so one that will make learning easy would be great.

So what you got or what features should I look for?

#2 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:50 PM

I don't have one yet so can't speak from experience but from the research I've done (mainly when looking at the reviews and experiences posted on other welding specific forums when a 2nd hand unit comes up) I keep coming back to the R-Tech units. I'm at the point now that when I do pull the trigger (pun sort of intended) I'll go to them. They are somewhat local so I can go and pick one up rather than have it shipped and they generally have a good reputation.

My requirements list is quite short - aluminum and steel, hobbyist level duty cycle (i.e. no water cooling) and light-medium materials (i.e. not mega high amps), not scratch start (e.g. HF start). I therefore expect the low end AC/DC unit will do what I need e.g. the TIG161 or 201.

Edited by Icey, 05 September 2019 - 09:52 PM.

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:15 PM

I don't have one yet so can't speak from experience but from the research I've done (mainly when looking at the reviews and experiences posted on other welding specific forums when a 2nd hand unit comes up) I keep coming back to the R-Tech units. I'm at the point now that when I do pull the trigger (pun sort of intended) I'll go to them. They are somewhat local so I can go and pick one up rather than have it shipped and they generally have a good reputation.

My requirements list is quite short - aluminum and steel, hobbyist level duty cycle (i.e. no water cooling) and light-medium materials (i.e. not mega high amps), not scratch start (e.g. HF start). I therefore expect the low end AC/DC unit will do what I need e.g. the TIG161 or 201.

similar requirements to me,

was looking at

https://www.stahlwer...omplettset.html

but then thought why not add the plasma cutter as well.

https://www.stahlwer...ipment-Set.html

thoughts?

#4 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:18 PM

Although my machine’s am older one more on the professional side of things Parweld and R-Tech are supposed to be decent in terms of high end hobbyist welders. Virtually all of these will have the options for gas pre/post flow which will come in handy when doing stainless.

You’ll do most of what you need on a Mini with 150a. Higher is generally better. It it really comes down to how much you’re looking to pay and if you’re going with new or used.
Definitely start with a foot pedal as you’ll get much better control over your weld and will allow you to start hot and drop back one you get going.

#5 stoneface

stoneface

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 11:27 PM

Unless I'm mistaken neither of the stahlwerk machines allow for a foot pedal which is a must imo.

Also if you have co2 or co2 mixed gas for your mig welding you will need to get some pure argon for tig welding.

Ideally you also need to use a seperate grinding wheel for sharpening the tungsten electrode. Otherwise you contaminate the tungsten with whatever you have been grinding. I have a seperate green grit wheel on one side of my bench grinder just for tungsten.

I've had a Stel tig welder for over 15 years which has just started to develop a few faults. They don't make anything like it any more so I'll replace it with another brand.

I have an R-Tech mig which has been very good, so I've been looking at their Tig as a possible replacement. They have more options than you'll ever use.

Before the Stel I used a huge (4 foot cubed) BOC water cooled tig, but that was for industrial welding. The water cooling is great, but for most general home use it's unnescessary. But a tig tourch does get to hot to hold.

Some decent tig welding gloves, and a tig finger is also useful, and then it's just practice.

My Stel also has MMA and my next will as well. MMA is another skill to learn and very useful when TIG or MIG is not suitable.

#6 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 11:35 PM

Unless I'm mistaken neither of the stahlwerk machines allow for a foot pedal which is a must imo.

correct it looks like it is a button on the torch.

what is the advantage of the foot pedal over button on the torch? heat transfer to the hand?

#7 stoneface

stoneface

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 11:37 PM

The button is on/off where as a foot pedal allows to to alter the current as you weld.

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 11:38 PM

The button is on/off where as a foot pedal allows to to alter the current as you weld.

cheers so a bit like a speed control on a sewing machine :)

#9 stoneface

stoneface

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 11:42 PM

Yes, sort of.

Not easy to use a foot pedal if welding upside down on a car, which is where you'd use the button on the torch, but for any bench welding it makes life so much easier and controlable.

Being able to adjust as you weld is good for starting and stopping but also controlling penetration and not blowing holes.

Not that there are many times you'd want to tig weld a car over mig.

#10 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 11:48 PM

It’s nice to have a foot pedal in general but it’s really essential on aluminium where the temperature of the part raises significantly as you weld so you need to back off the amps to keep a consistent bead through the weld.

If you had to stay at one power level throughout you could start out with a reasonable bead that becomes flatter and flatter as the part absorbs heat effectively lowering it melting point.

#11 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 07:15 AM

Ive got one of the stahlwerk welders, and although its ok, if i were bying again i'd look at the R tech ones, on the stahlwerk the power settings are a bit funky and ive found it tricky to get a low enough setting for thin stuff.

Also factor in that you'll need to get pur argon gas not a mix, and also if your doing any decent stainless you'll need a double regulator for back purging. another thing, do you need to get an AC machine? to be honest ive found alluminium to be of limited use as it goes soft, pluss its a bit of a pain to deal wit anyway, if you can get away with a DC welder you'll save a heap of money. 

#12 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 12:56 PM

similar requirements to me,

was looking at

https://www.stahlwer...omplettset.html

but then thought why not add the plasma cutter as well.

https://www.stahlwer...ipment-Set.html

thoughts?

When I said my requirements were minimal, there are a couple of other features, mainly for aluminium, that I'd want to see: AC balance and frequency control - that unit has neither. This is the point I've got to with a few other units, great price but missing features that I know I'll kick myself about later.

It's the same reason I've not just bought a DC unit - yes I'll probably mostly weld steel but if I can't weld aluminium you just know that a few jobs will come up that I'll really want it for!

Edited by Icey, 06 September 2019 - 12:57 PM.

#13 r.tec

r.tec

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Local Club: SfG Schoenau

Posted 07 September 2019 - 06:50 AM

..I've set my eyes on one of these: https://www.expondo....4-takt-10020125

Seems to have all the right ingredients. But I'm not completely sure about it. The price is okay, though, for ambitioned hobby welding aluminium, I think.

Edited by r.tec, 07 September 2019 - 06:51 AM.

#14 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 10:12 AM

Seems to have all the right ingredients. But I'm not completely sure about it. The price is okay, though, for ambitioned hobby welding aluminium, I think.

Looks interesting.

#15 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:24 AM

Looks interesting.

in fact it looks very interesting. I am off on the road for a couple of weeks but think I may just order one for delivery when I return. then book some time off to learn how too use it!

English version is anyone in interested.

https://www.expondo....4-tact-10020125

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users