#31 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 08 October 2019 - 02:45 PM

I have watched them already. missed the bit about the different electrode materials. He really should organize them a bit better.

and then the grinding.

#32 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 05:41 PM

its a bit taller than i expected.

uNWmseN.jpg

#33 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:28 PM

I use 2% Lanthanated (blue) in 2.4mm for my stainless work which is mostly 1.5-2mm wall tube. They’ll also work on 3mm thick aluminium and up.
I use the same grade tungsten in 1.6mm for 1mm steel on car bodywork and thinner aluminium.

You don’t want to use too thick of a tungsten on thin material as you can suffer with the arc wandering at low amps because it’s struggling to get through the electrode.
Generally speaking on mild and stainless the thinner the metal the the longer the point on the tungsten. This is also to do with stability of the arc.

For a 2.4mm tungsten on aluminium I’ll grind the tip that’s about 5mm from tip to shoulder and let it ball it’s self when the arc strikes. For stainless I’ll stretch it out to 8mm.

These are just the things I’ve learned along the way doing motorcycle and car fabrication work. I’m sure almost every welder will have their own favourite setting and gear but hopefully it’ll give you somewhere to start.

#34 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:45 PM

nice one. currently i will be sticking to 2mm and maybe 1mm sheet alloy. and some thin steel and some 1.5mm steel

anything else will be much later stainless and other exotics i have no need at the moment.

#35 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local Club: south wales mini club

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:27 PM

As above 2% lanthanated tungsten in 1.6 or 2.4 will cover you for pretty much anything you will need

#36 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 08:34 AM

yep, 1.6 and 2.4's, you'll only need the 3.2's if your doing thick plate, like 5mm+

I found that for most ally work 2.4's work best, as with the cleaning action you get more heat in the tungsten and the 1.6's cant handle it, maybe that just me.

Also for stainless work i get on better with 1.6's, thats on 1.5mm tube for manifolds,

get a couple of packs of tungstens, and sharpen them all, to start with you will be dipping the tip and swapping them out a lot, especially on ally, on steel you can get a way with a little dip, on ally/AC it just turns straight to a black mess....

there are handy settings apps for phones too, Ive got the Miller app on my phione, gives a good ball park setup to get started from.

#37 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 09:28 AM

interesting my local welding supplier does not have 2% lanthanated  (blue) only 1.5% lanthanated (gold) might look further at other places to see if it is the same.

#38 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:45 PM

got to love Ebay. a selection of filler rods ordered and two sizes of Electrode ordered. why two length of electrodes though. had to go out an measure. came with 150 but 175mm will easily fit in the long holder.

whats the deal with the torch "sizes"?  (not the shrouds i get them).

#39 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 02:32 PM

the electrode length are for torch varients, normally you have the "long" cap on the back that the electrod extends into, buit for tight spaces you might want to swap this for a short/flush cap and shrt electrode,

toprches are generally for fifferent ampages, the Wp17 is the most common, and fine for most useages, if your doing fine work then somthinng like a wp9, or if your doing heavy stuff a wp26, theres probably sizes in between too. also theres flex head torches for really contorted spaces.

electode wise, theres been a move away from thoriated tungstens as they are midly radioactive, and grinding them has health concerns. apart from that its a topic of much discussion, and really its best to just get some of each and see what you like best. its been a while since ive welded, and cant remember what i was using now.

#40 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 07:57 PM

Well had a day playing with thin sheet steel 1mm as I had it around and it was not going to be used for anything.

really quite interesting.

will be playing with some alloy tomorrow.

#41 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 07:52 PM

Mmmm too many knobs to really get my head around it today with alloy welding.

fusing corners together with no filler early looks great and looks ok with quite some depth on the inside. Going to take some time this alloy stuff. But dropped the torch and snapped the long rear cap. So a rest day tomorrow.

#42 stoneface

stoneface

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 08:08 PM

If you just snapped the back off fill the hole with epoxy putty and use it as a short cap for confined spaces.

Break and electrode to length and off you go again.

Did you get a foot pedal with your kit?

#43 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 08:59 PM

Yep. But not bothering with it just yet. Got a short cap already. Really just trying to workout how things work and what they do.

#44 stoneface

stoneface

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 09:37 PM

You'll get there... the foot pedal will give you so much more control.

#45 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 10:09 PM

I’d second getting the foot pedal hooked up.

I always have my amps set slightly higher than I’m going to weld at so that I can spike the amps and melt a spot quickly to get a tack in.
It’ll also allow you to ease off as your work piece heats up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users