6 replies to this topic

#1 ReeceWillett

ReeceWillett

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:49 PM

Hi all, my problem first started out on my trip back home from the lake District last weekend. The car was fine for the 110mile trip to the lake District but on the way home the car started to splutter and cut out really hard up a couple of hills after that for the remainder of the journey(90) miles it was fine. Fast forward a few days and a few trips out in the car it started to cut out hard again and alot more frequently, since then it hasn't been driveable.

Symptoms.
I can set off in first gear slowly but as soon as I put some power down it starts to splutter?!? Sounds to me like a misfire?. When the car cuts out the ignition light flickers in sequence with the hard cuts??
Sometimes when I press the brake the ignition light will flicker on then off??

I have carried out several tests so far.
Checked the alternator wires. All ok
Checked voltage under load and at idle. All ok
Unplugged the alternator and test drove. Still the same problem.

It sounds to me like a fueling issue or wiring issue. Any of you knowledgeable gurus have an input?? Or tests I could carry out?

Cheers
Reece

Edited by ReeceWillett, 06 September 2019 - 09:08 PM.

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 06 September 2019 - 10:07 PM

Does the car have an engine rev counter? If so, watch the gauge, if you get counter needle spikes of about 500rpm or more then the coil or coil circuits will be to blame.

If the rev counter needle doesn't really move you have a fuelling issue (could be dirt from the tank or bad fuel, if you use a fuel filter it will reduce the chances of these issues.)

Hope this helps

Keep us updated with things you've done or tested but remember to do one test at a time, drive the car and try to replicate the fault.

Kind regards
Cal

Edited by cal844, 06 September 2019 - 10:08 PM.

#3 ReeceWillett

ReeceWillett

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 07:41 AM

Does the car have an engine rev counter? If so, watch the gauge, if you get counter needle spikes of about 500rpm or more then the coil or coil circuits will be to blame.

If the rev counter needle doesn't really move you have a fuelling issue (could be dirt from the tank or bad fuel, if you use a fuel filter it will reduce the chances of these issues.)

Hope this helps

Keep us updated with things you've done or tested but remember to do one test at a time, drive the car and try to replicate the fault.

Kind regards
Cal

Cheers for the reply I've got a tachometer lying about in the shed I'll wire up and check. Are you saying the revs should spike as the cut is happening??.

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 07 September 2019 - 09:42 AM

Hope this helps

Kind regards
Cal

Cheers for the reply I've got a tachometer lying about in the shed I'll wire up and check. Are you saying the revs should spike as the cut is happening??.

Yes as the misfire is happening it will give a difference in reading on the tach

#5 andyapanel

andyapanel

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 12:46 PM

I would check rotor arm, distributor cap, leads and then coil; if they pass, have a look inside the float bowl of the carb for particles of nastiness that could be clogging up the carb.

You say you unplugged the alternator and drove it. You may have damaged that, too. You should check the voltage output.

Good luck, these things are always soluble, but usually take three times as long as you hoped they would.

#6 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 12:52 PM

I would check rotor arm, distributor cap, leads and then coil; if they pass, have a look inside the float bowl of the carb for particles of nastiness that could be clogging up the carb.
You say you unplugged the alternator and drove it. You may have damaged that, too. You should check the voltage output.
Good luck, these things are always soluble, but usually take three times as long as you hoped they would.

I had a similar misfire on my 1275gt and when all else failed I changed the condenser in the distributor and the problem was solved.

#7 andyapanel

andyapanel

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:39 AM

I had a similar misfire on my 1275gt and when all else failed I changed the condenser in the distributor and the problem was solved.

Yes, I forgot the condenser.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users