90 replies to this topic

#16 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 06:17 PM

Excellent, i shall have a look into that. Where did you get your panels from out of interest?

#17 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 07:17 PM

i get mine from bulmotif spares fantastic service order online and get free next day delivery if ordered before 2 o clock normaly they say 2-3 days but i have had mine next day on 3 seperate occasions and theyre the cheapest ive found to be honest

Edited by wreckitralph, 29 September 2019 - 07:19 PM.

#18 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 09:23 PM

i get mine from bulmotif spares fantastic service order online and get free next day delivery if ordered before 2 o clock normaly they say 2-3 days but i have had mine next day on 3 seperate occasions and theyre the cheapest ive found to be honest

Thanks for that, will have a look on their website as I have an ever growing list of panels that I need haha

#19 miniallsort

miniallsort

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,723 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:47 PM

nice little project

#20 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:59 PM

There’s going to be a bit of a delay on progress at the moment. Our little girl was born over the weekend and she’s needing an extended hospital stay so the mini is taking a back seat.
Hopefully once she’s all better and home, some normal service can resume and I can get a cheeky hour or so here and there In the garage to continue the strip down.

#21 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:28 PM

Hello everybody. After a lengthy hospital stay and several follow up appointments, I finally got some time to get back to the mini. It was only an hour but it's a start. 

I have finally decided on a route to go down now with the car. It's going to be built to Cat 2 Historic rally regulations so there are a few ideas that I had will have to be tweaked to comply with the regs but it won't be too much of an issue as I will be starting with a blank canvas pretty much.

All I managed today was to cut off the wings and start tidying the wiring loom in preparation to remove it all from the car. As you can see, there is a fair bit of work to be done and it's more than likely going to a complete new front end from the bulk head forward. The plan is to remove the front panel, and then remove the engine and gearbox and front & rear suspension so it will literally be just a shell. It will then go to be blasted and we'll have a better idea of what we've got to work with and come up with a plan from there.

iq90pqA.jpg?1

gcC6jSr.jpg?1

oxhBlj9.jpg?1

#22 Bdshim

Bdshim

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 06:07 AM

Nice project, looks like will keep you busy ?

#23 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 29 January 2020 - 09:23 AM

Great project.
Keep looking at others restorations to keep the motivation.
Do a to to list and take pride ticking stuff off... even the little this rs6 make it satisfying..

And lastly..... never keep a total of the cost..... (or tell anyone else how much it costs- my wife thinks min costs about £300 When in reality. £$%%&@)

#24 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:32 PM

I’ve read plenty of other projects on here and keep dipping in and out now to get an idea of what’s what so there’s plenty of motivation. Add to that I want it done by the end of the year so I can start testing January 2021 ready for the season.
Got a little white board and a list on the go already so we’re getting there.
Hahaha I’ve gone with honesty is the best policy so she knows the cost... it works in my favour when I see something for reasonable money so I can justify buying it as it’s cheap.

#25 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:57 PM

Today I had a few free hours so managed to get a few things stripped down.
Ditched all the wiring for the radio and a few other wires that won’t be needed. Got the heater out too and removed the exhaust and manifold and a few other items so the engine and gearbox is nearly ready to come out.

#26 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 04:13 PM

I’ve been learning as I’ve being going along with this car. An attempt last week to remove the hubs and shafts saw me fail due to lacking in the right tools. A few clicks later and all was sorted. Finally managed to get everything off today. 4 bolts left and the engine and box are out. I just need to Find a hoist now but before then, I’ll get all the brake and fuel lines off and then the rear subframe so hopefully it’ll be ready to be blasted very soon.

Attached Files

Edited by Arwel1986, 13 March 2020 - 04:14 PM.

#27 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 04:23 PM

Finished removing the loom today and a few other small bits and bobs. Curiosity got the better of me and started prodding and found these below.
Really concerning the amount of filler that’s been plastered all over everything... i could smell it as I was scraping over it.
Everything is repairable at the end of the day.. it’ll just take longer, especially now with everything on “lockdown”

Finished removing the loom today and a few other small bits and bobs. Curiosity got the better of me and started prodding and found these below.
Really concerning the amount of filler that’s been plastered all over everything... i could smell it as I was scraping over it.
Everything is repairable at the end of the day.. it’ll just take longer, especially now with everything on “lockdown”

Attached Files

Edited by Arwel1986, 24 March 2020 - 04:25 PM.

#28 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 05:39 PM

It's a proper authentic Mini if it has lots of filler.  Someone cleaned my brother's Mini's windscreen at the lights once (does that still happen?) and broke the aerial off by hardly touching it as that part of the wing was all filler.  The bloke's face was a picture.

#29 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,709 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:28 PM

Looks typical mini rot.Good luck with repairs.Steve..

#30 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:50 PM

Did a bit more cleaning up earlier on. The plate at the bottom of the flitch panel is massive. Found a load of filler inside on the floor, I was expecting the worse but it’s only been used to smooth and blend the welds as underneath it all was a solid but grubby floor. So I found some solid metal which is great as hopefully there’ll be enough decent metal to weld new panels too.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users