90 replies to this topic

#31 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 05:08 PM

Today saw another battle with rusty, worn bolts. Rear subframe ones today. 3 out of the 4 boot floor ones came out no problem, one had to be cut with a grinder as it was refusing to budge.
The 4 that go through the heel board we’re a different matter. 2 came out fine, one snapped, which was expected and the other one.. well, the captive nut isn’t so captive anymore so need to have a think how to get it off. Haven’t got a welder yet so can’t weld it back so I’m thinking of cutting it off. I shall give it another go tomorrow.

#32 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 04:04 PM

What I’ve realised in the last few days is that there’s no point trying to be nice to rounded or broken bolts and fixings. Mr Grinder (not that website) has become my new friend and he works extremely well.
Rear subframe is now off. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll get the body onto a pallet and I can move it out of the garage to have a little clean up.

Attached Files

#33 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 05:22 PM

The pallet idea didn’t go to plan. 2 wheels collapsed and I then struggled to get the bloody thing back on axle stands... fun fun fun.
On a positive note, the rear subframe is in very good condition which is surprising, I assume it’s been replaced at some point. The heel board is also in very good condition along with the boot floor apart from one patch that’s needed.
The garage needs a good tidy up and a sort out before anything else happens as I need to make more space for the larger items as they come off the car so that’ll be the next job and then I’ll carry on stripping and cleaning and hopefully get a welder and start the repairs.

#34 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 05:28 PM

Got it out of the garage today for the first time in over 6 months. Needed to tidy up the garage to be able make room for the bigger stuff to come off the car.
Poor thing looks like scrap on the pallet but it’ll get there.

Attached Files

#35 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 05:11 PM

Had a couple of hours this afternoon so stripped the subframe. Everything came apart nice and easy in all fairness. The subframe itself looks like it’s been replaced at some point as it’s absolutely solid. Black shiney paint can even be seen in some places after a quick wipe. It’ll have a a good clean up and then a repaint. I can then get some new cones and hi lot’s and a complete new rear brake set up.

Attached Files

#36 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 05:22 PM

Started undoing the driver side inner wing today. What a horrible job this is. Managed to get the front half undone so next up is the flitch panel forward. Then it’ll be clean up time and some primer until my welder and panels arrive.

Attached Files

Edited by Arwel1986, 21 April 2020 - 05:23 PM.

#37 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 04:39 PM

Front panel and front half of the inner wings came off today. Next job is to remove the doors, get the engine and box out and then wait for my welder and some metal to arrive. I’ll need to brace the car up before cutting more away. Hopefully drop the front subframe during that time too.

Attached Files

#38 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 02:10 PM

Got the engine and box out today. Had to be a bit creative with the jack and some wood but I managed.
Was more of a challenge wiggling it into place out the way, for a small little engine there’s some weight in them.

Attached Files

#39 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 02 May 2020 - 02:33 PM

Got the engine and box out today. Had to be a bit creative with the jack and some wood but I managed.
Was more of a challenge wiggling it into place out the way, for a small little engine there’s some weight in them.

Weight !!          You are not the first to have wished that the Block and head were lighter !

#40 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 07:57 PM

I suppose the whole engine and gearbox within the same unit doesn’t help.

#41 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 03:45 PM

Separated the head from the block today. Just to have a little look and see if there was anything seriously wrong as apparently the engine was a non runner.
Everything turns over by hand very easily so that’s always a positive. From what I can see today, there’s nothing massively wrong with it, it just needs a good clean up. Since it’s going to be a rally car it’s going to be fully rebuilt anyway.

My box section and welder arrived today, regulator and adapter is coming tomorrow so just need a big bottle of gas and I can get on with some practicing and bracing the car up.

Attached Files

#42 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 06:38 PM

Driver side over sill removed this morning. It revealed the inner sill is in a very bad way and held together with filler/fibreglass and gaffer tape. Going to cut the other side tomorrow and see what that’s like. It’s getting to the point where I’m not sure if the shell is too far gone for me. I know my way around cars fine but new to welding and this may be a step too far to begin with.

Attached Files

#43 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,720 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 09 May 2020 - 10:45 AM

I would resist cutting off the other side yet.If you have the tools to weld a mini sill is about as good start as you can get.There are any number of rebuilds showing you how it is done and all the quality parts are available.Welding is a skill but car repair standards are relatively "easy" to achieve.Do not fall into the trap of cutting everything off at once.Good luck and persevere,it will come.Steve..

#44 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 07:40 PM

I would resist cutting off the other side yet.If you have the tools to weld a mini sill is about as good start as you can get.There are any number of rebuilds showing you how it is done and all the quality parts are available.Welding is a skill but car repair standards are relatively "easy" to achieve.Do not fall into the trap of cutting everything off at once.Good luck and persevere,it will come.Steve..

Thanks for that. A little too late as I cut the passenger side off today as curiosity got the better of me. As you can see, it’s no better on this side either.

It just all looks daunting to me at the moment but we’ll see how it goes. I’m going to spend time looking at what others have done and see if I have some brave pills laying around.

Attached Files

#45 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,720 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 10 May 2020 - 09:11 AM

My technique is to stop looking at it all,just focus on one bit.Fix that and then move on.I like to fix the door first and then the sill.this helps in positioning and looking right when done.Steve..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users