#1 MarkC123

MarkC123

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 10:17 PM

hi there,

I own a 96 spi, bought a new battery and alternator a while ago (about a year) and I’ve noticed when I leave the car sit for a while (week or so) when I go to start I have a very weak turnover and sometimes it won’t start at all.

Fine with a battery pack and seems to charge back
Up after a reasonable drive but just curious if there’s something I’m missing ? I cleaned the earths but the battery still seems to drain to the point it won’t turn over enough to start .

Any help appreciated.
Mark

#2 hunterg30

hunterg30

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 11:33 PM

it's the alarm/ immobiliser , test with a multimeter for battery drain. if you have got the standard battery it will soon drain it, put in a type 075 or higher battery

#3 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 12:38 AM

My 96 SPI kills batteries, as Hunter says, its the alarm. Just keep a trickle charger on it 

#4 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 11:06 AM

We had a '98 cooper from new. At about 4 years old it suffered from this, flattened the battery overnight. Put a battery cut out switch in the boot which solved the problem but was a pain having to enter stereo code every day. Remained like that till we sold it (still wish we hadn't)

Edited by surfblue, 08 September 2019 - 11:07 AM.

#5 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 03:48 PM

Draining overnight should be investigated before a fire occurs, fitting a cut off switch is a bodge.

Draining after a couple of weeks is fairly normal worth the factory Rover alarms.

#6 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:56 AM

Most "replacement" parts now (alternator / Start motor etc) are rebuilt units. Just because its a year old doesn't mean its still working properly anymore depending on the original fault with the alternator before it was rebuilt. (Assuming it is a recon as most are).

I would stick a Voltmeter (set to DC) across the battery make sure its reading 12 volts, fire the car up give it a rev and expect to see 14.4 volts or there abouts on the meter. This proves the alternator is pushing out the correct charge voltage.

Make sure the battery is fully charged, and take it to your local motor factor for a "drain down test" this check s the battery can hold the charge.

If these tests work out ok then I would start looking for "battery leaks", usually carried out laboriously by removing each fuse to isolate each circuit and test appropriately

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users