6 replies to this topic

#1 ksj

ksj

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 01:22 AM

I'm interested in converting my front brakes from drum to disc with one of MiniSpares' kits. Is there a way to determine whether my current system is diagonal or front-rear without crawling under the car?

Hope this isn't a stupid question. I have a medical condition that makes it uncomfortable for me to lie  on my back.

Joe

1979 998 Saloon

#2 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 06:56 AM

Lift the bonnet and you should be able to tell by looking at the brake pipe arrangement. 

For instance if it's front-rear split then a pipe will go down from the master cylinder to the offside front wheel and then another pipe will link that to the nearside front normally by running around the front subframe crossmember.  An additional pipe will travel from the master cylinder and disappear down the bulkhead and under the car for the rear brakes.  The pipes will probably travel via a brake proportioning valve on the bulkhead too just under the master cylinder. 

You should see all this from above.  I think yours will be like this being a '79 model. 

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 08 September 2019 - 02:12 PM

My 80 reg Clubman Estate is front and rear split, my 89 is the same

#4 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 September 2019 - 03:19 PM

Follow the line From the master to the offside front wheel connection on the subframe and see if there's a link pipe going round the front of the frame that also feeds the nearside front.

Also, if you can see a pressure regulator it'll not be diagonal.

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,934 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:16 PM

As Ethel mentioned, If you have a Tandem Master Cylinder, Diagonal Split don't have a Pressure Regulator.

These, if fitted, in a car of your era, are usually below the Master Cylinder on the bulkhead.

#6 ksj

ksj

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:46 AM

Thanks for the advice, guys. I checked under the bonnet and can't well see all of the lines. My car does have two splitters, one on each side of the firewall. There is no pressure regulator.

Joe

#7 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,934 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:06 AM

Thanks for the advice, guys. I checked under the bonnet and can't well see all of the lines. My car does have two splitters, one on each side of the firewall. There is no pressure regulator.

Joe

Sounds like you had Diagonal Split type set up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users