21 replies to this topic

#1 28hodge

28hodge

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 09:25 AM

Car is a 72 clubman but has a mg metro engine and I assume the gear selector casing from the mg. it's rod change so assume it was all changed at the same time.

It's never had a reverse light on it and as I want to do some 12cars this winter i was going to fit one. The selector casing hole appears to be 3/8 unf the reverse switch is unc. The metro ones are the same, basically it doesn't fit as the threads are different? Why I have no idea, anybody had this before and can advise on an alternative switch!

Or am I being thick? There is only one hole in the casing which has a rubber bang in it. Towards the front of the casing on the drivers side, did all rod changes come with reverse switches?

#2 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:28 AM

Its definitely a UNC and I think you are looking at the correct hole.
107.jpg

#3 28hodge

28hodge

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:43 AM

Yep that's where I am trying to screw it in, it will go but it's definitely not right, the unf bolt will go in with my fingers the switch will go in a 1/4 turn then goes tight and needs quite a bit of force with a socket. Might run a tap down it to see if it's just a bad thread?

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:48 AM

metro sift assys are not the same. they are longer iirc.

#5 28hodge

28hodge

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:51 AM

Same thread though or not? Part numbers for the switches seem the be the same gae191

Edited by 28hodge, 08 September 2019 - 10:52 AM.

#6 28hodge

28hodge

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:53 AM

Actually metro is gae187 that said still 3/8 16 unc

#7 AlasdairM

AlasdairM

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 10:51 AM

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread, but does anyone have any advice for getting the reverse light switch threaded into the housing? I removed my old switch yesterday to inspect, and I spent about 30mins trying to get the threads started again on the switch. My gearbox is in-situ, so access above the exhaust pipe is limited. After trying to much and bending the wires inadvertently, I ended up fraying the wires so much that I bought a new switch. 

I obviously don't want the same thing to happen to the new switch. Any advice from anyone who experienced this difficulty in the past would be appreciated!

#8 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,415 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 01 May 2020 - 11:16 AM

Just undo the selector mountings somewhere it'll drop a fair bit with the rods still attached.

#9 AlasdairM

AlasdairM

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 07:42 PM

Thanks Ethel. I did think of that but was a bit nervous it would have knock on effects. 

I'll give that a go.

Alasdair

#10 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Local Club: Whickham & DMC

Posted 16 May 2020 - 05:20 PM

Is there a trick to fit the reverse light switch on rod change?

I put the gear lever In reverse, the screwed in the switch. I connected a test light across the switch so I knew when I had it screwed in far enough.

The light came on when the switch was screwed a long way in. However I could not get the lever out of reverse!!  I had to screw the switch out to free the lever. It is as if the plunger in the switch was not contacting what ever it should.

I have A Mini manual & also a Metro manual , but neither mention the reverse light switch.

any advice would be appreciated.

#11 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 16 May 2020 - 07:37 PM

I put the gear lever In reverse, the screwed in the switch. I connected a test light across the switch so I knew when I had it screwed in far enough.

The light came on when the switch was screwed a long way in. However I could not get the lever out of reverse!!  I had to screw the switch out to free the lever. It is as if the plunger in the switch was not contacting what ever it should.

I have A Mini manual & also a Metro manual , but neither mention the reverse light switch.

I'm just wondering if the Yoke (or eye) inside the shifter is up-side-down ?

Might have to remove the plate on the bottom to have a look to see what's going on here.

#12 AlasdairM

AlasdairM

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 07:39 PM

I got the car moving with the clutch (when on of course!) for the first time today, and quickly realised what I previously thought was reverse was in fact 4th gear.

So my reverse light comes on when I engage 4th. I’ll need to re-adjust for reverse.

I was doing as you were saying, however not leaving it in gear. I would adjust, hand tighten the locknut, get out from under the car, then check.

Edited by AlasdairM, 16 May 2020 - 07:40 PM.

#13 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Local Club: Whickham & DMC

Posted 16 May 2020 - 09:25 PM

Might have to remove the plate on the bottom to have a look to see what's going on here.

Hi Moke

I have never driven this car, so it is possible something may have been assembled incorrectly! The yoke hangs down below the change rod, but could this be installed back to front? The. Manual is very poor so I cannot see if there is a right way or a wrong way for this to go in.

anyone got any photos?

#14 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,415 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 16 May 2020 - 09:46 PM

Yes you can flip the yoke upside down

https://www.mokeforu...hp?topic=9452.0

#15 Woolfie 640

Woolfie 640

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Moke club

Posted 16 May 2020 - 09:54 PM

Hi Moke
I have never driven this car, so it is possible something may have been assembled incorrectly! The yoke hangs down below the change rod, but could this be installed back to front? The. Manual is very poor so I cannot see if there is a right way or a wrong way for this to go in.
anyone got any photos?
Possibly the lower cover plate is on back to front . This will cause reverse to be out of position and will select either first or fourth gear

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users