800 which is too much. He does seem convinced he has just had it built

#17 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:44 AM

Seems to be the going rate for a "rebuilt" A series with no evidence of work done. 

He may be convinced but no one here is, did the dog eat the paper work?

#18 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,399 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:03 AM

Is it assembled, running? Where abouts? There might be someone closer who is willing to have a look.

If he's just built it there must be a load of questions he can answer without hesitation.

#19 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,929 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:09 AM

800 which is too much. He does seem convinced he has just had it built

some one is trying it on.

a rally spec head is 800.

there have been a number of cheap and expensive paint jobs been offered over the years as rebuilds....

800 would not cover the time to strip and reassemble for most mechanics. for a home builder it might just cover parts but no machining or checking.

what is the engine location?

#20 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts
  • Local Club: Box hill. Lsmoc member

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:23 AM

Mid Wales. He recognises he can't prove it and priced accordingly.not running as there is no dizzy on it from the pictures I have seen. Too far for me and told him so. Might be worth it for someone closer

#21 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,929 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:25 AM

Mid Wales. He recognises he can't prove it and priced accordingly.not running as there is no dizzy on it from the pictures I have seen. Too far for me and told him so. Might be worth it for someone closer

I think this is one of the home "builders" that I have heard people having issues with. they are not really what he says they are.

#22 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:21 AM

a recently built rally spec engine would cost in excess of 5k

there's no way this is a genuine sell

#23 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,800 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 11:44 AM

yeah, ive seen lots of engines described like this that are either a) shagged or b) bear no relation to the spec... 

one example was a "1330 rally spec engine, freshly built, race cam, centre main strap, lightened and ballenced crank & rods & flywheel "   actual spec was std with 1275 4 ring pistons and just a Piper 285 cam minispares head, LCB and weber on a swan neck. the pinnicle though was the Pre A+ box and idler gear with an A+ end plate....

#24 Ronski

Ronski

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:46 PM

I recently purchased an engine blind, guy on face book said it ran fine prior to removal, and had been stored for a few months.

It was a five hour drive away, but luckily our company regularly has vans in the area, so I got it collected and driver paid cash.

When I started inspecting it I found the oil filter holed, also the turbo oil return bent and holed - damage consistent with a front end crash.

It turns over by hand, no idea yet if was run without oil, but it was purchased in full knowledge it may need a rebuild, not that the seller told me that. I'm still happy as the engine is extremely rare (Fiat 16vt) and I got it very cheap, but it just goes to show you can't trust a total stranger.

#25 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:28 PM

In my experience I would always buy any "2nd" engine (ie not from a company) expecting to strip and check it.. to strip and check it is at least a few gaskets, and at most a few gaskets and a bolt / nut set / maybe a bearing or two, for peace of mind, so you know what you have. 

Bearing that in mind, I would only pay for a "unit" based on the fact I am going to strip it and check it... I never have bought a "2nd" hand lump and lobbed it straight in.... you may get away with it.. chances are you wont... most engines come out for a reason :-)

#26 Ronski

Ronski

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:50 PM

I learnt about 30 years after doing a private job for a driver, remove and replace an Austin 1300 engine. The one he purchased from the local breakers was worse than the one I took out.

#27 Norris73

Norris73

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 04:31 PM

On the flip side approx. 3 years ago I purchased a 1990 998 A+ engine from eBay because it was very cheap (£120) and only just down the road. When I got to the seller’s house it was hanging on the engine crane in his garage, it had just been removed from the car which was sitting in the driveway. I was told it had done 67k miles.

All I did to it was fit a new clutch, water pump, thermostat and changed a few gaskets while it was out of the car, gave it a service with oil filter and oil, and dropped it in the car. Its runs perfectly at start-up hits 60psi at idle oil pressure, at hot idle 30 - 35psi, even the gearbox is perfect in all gears including 2nd gear synchro.

Although I admit i think this was an extremely lucky find and not the norm when buying a second-hand engine. Buyer beware as they say.

#28 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:30 PM

Tell the seller you will pay him full asking price if he lets you take it to bits to check it is what he says.

Tell him you will bring the cash and put it on the side in.the garage while you do this.

If it's what he says then he shouldn't object but if he is lying then he won't let you, I bet I know what the response will be!

Edited by Homersimpson, 09 September 2019 - 06:31 PM.

#29 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,915 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:08 PM

On the flip side approx. 3 years ago I purchased a 1990 998 A+ engine from eBay because it was very cheap (£120) and only just down the road. When I got to the seller’s house it was hanging on the engine crane in his garage, it had just been removed from the car which was sitting in the driveway. I was told it had done 67k miles.

You were lucky. When my mate asked me to go with him to pick up an engine for his wife's Mini it was still in the donor car. No hoist but we man-handled it out and into the back of his Morris Minor Traveller. Told him no uncertain terms that I was not putting into his wife's car in the same way ... expecting him to borrow an engine hoist ... he asked his neighbour to help. So the three of us man-handled it back into a Mini.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users